Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maule or Matco tailwheel

Default Maule or Matco tailwheel

So I have a flying kitfox with a Matco tailwheel, and a project kitfox with a Maule tailwheel. I'm trying to decide which one to keep on my final airplane. Looking for opinions as to which is best based on perfomance, maintenance, longevity, adjustment etc.

Thanks
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Maule or Matco tailwheel

STP62284.jpgI removed the Maule and replaced it with the Matco WHLT-8L. It's been great. My model 4 kit came with the Maul but I never flew with it. I'm sure it would have done just fine but it had a solid tire and looked about as appealing as a brick. The Matco was a little lighter so that helped with CG. And it's pretty!
    Last edited by jrthomas; 03-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Would really like technical opinions, preferably from someone familiar with both. Looks isn't really a factor as far as I'm concerned. I'm more performance oriented.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

OK. Well I'll try again. I've flown 2 other Kitfoxes both with Maule tailwheels and a couple of Cubs. I really couldn't tell the difference. Since the Maule is solid you'll be able to feel every crack in the pavement. Other than that I don't think I could tell any real difference. They both work the same. If you want to know why I changed mine, I had read that some people believed that the Maule had been known to unlock on landing and had caused accidents. I never had any such problem. I do much prefer the softer tire on the Matco.

Having flown both I wouldn't give $.02 for a Maul tailwheel.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Can you elaborate?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

I have been using a Maule since day one, it's solid, it reliable. I find absolutely none of the complaints
    I read about to be true. I would buy another one ... I understand mechanically how it works, and as
    far as I'm concerned the only reason there might be a problem is if somebody set it up wrong.

Regards,
    Jeff

N85AE, Series 5, IO-240B

Hmm, I like John. He's a digger. Cummon Larry. Let's hear it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Oh, Jeff I did that.
    A matco without firm chains will try to ruin your day. They all would if not rigged correctly.
    That was the first thing I noticed in JRthomas Pic below. His are correct. I made the mistake of watching a YouTube video without the understanding all tailwheels are not equal. The A&P in the video was dealing with a Scott tailwheel and Slack is the rule there. I knew I was going to buy the ABI with the T3 in about a year, but I had the cash on hand and bought them on the phone with John McBean after nearly ground looping with my Matco. My fault. That leads me to this question. Are you not considering the ABI tailwheel? I love my set up.
    Last edited by efwd; 03-23-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Okay. Here goes...

My first Kitfox had a Maul. As long as I took off the unlocking cam it was fine. As soon as the cam went on, to unlock the wheel to maneuver, or to push the plane into the hangar, it became a nightmare. I played around with it for a couple years trying to make it reliably work. I had it apart so many times to clean, lube, measure for wear, adjust chains, etc. Maybe if the setup of the airframe to wheel was PERFECT it would work better, but perfection was not attainable by me on that plane. The rudder stops were not exactly symmetrical and this caused it to unlock in one direction quicker than the other. This situation, coupled with a slightly sagged spring caused a couple of ground loop situations with that plane. Luckily very slow with no damage. I re-arched the spring to give the wheel a positive camber and that helped some, but the wheel was still twitchy with the unlock.

The Mangy Fox was built with a 8" Matco wheel in mind from the start. The pneumatic tire is far better than the solid rubber for ride and steering. The steering/locking mechanism is far less temperamental. I also set up this plane with adjustable rudder stops to make sure I could tune the tailwheel perfectly. I later added a Grove tail spring and that made this setup perform even better.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos