Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maule or Matco tailwheel

Default Re: Maule or Matco tailwheel

Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like the Maule could be a little tricky to adjust. I really haven't taken the Maule apart to see how it works so may do that soon, but I can see how the Matco works and it is pretty simple in its operation. I'll probably go with the Matco once I get to that point.. One slight difficulty I've had with my Matco is it not wanting to unlock for ground handling but I ordered the arms that unlock at lower angle deflection and just have to get them on to try out. Thanks for the responses.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

8" Wide Matco Single arm Compared to the Maul

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.10.52 AM.png

Beef
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.11.20 AM.png

edit: Chains are not yet setup in this picture. just kinda hung in place

I have a Matco single arm 6" tailwheel id sell for $100 plus u pay shipping,( like the one in Jrthomas pic's)
    i bought it from Jim, came off his Christavia kit he bought, never been flow, only taxied around on and i took it off and installed a baby bush wheel for snow floatability and i need a liitle more weight on the tail.

[QUOTE=buckchop;90709]I have a Matco single arm 6" tailwheel id sell for $100 plus u pay shipping,( like the one in Jrthomas pic's)
    Mine is the 8" model but the 6" should work just fine. And you'll never have a better opportunity at that price. It looks like everyone is either indifferent about the Maule or hates it. If they have an "ugly contest" the Maule wins. If I had it to do over I'd probably buy the 8" wide tire version.

Thanks for the offer and it is a very good deal. I'm sure someone will take you up on it. If I buy I'll wind up buying an 8"
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I have used the Homebuilders single arm 6" tailwheel for many years. I have had no negative experiences with it.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I like those tailwheels too, Lowell. I used the double fork version on my T-18, but I modified it by milling out the track that the locking key rides in, giving a greater angle of turn before it goes to full-swivel. They are made by Aviation Products in Ojai, CA, and you used to be able to purchase directly from them... not sure if that's still the case. I wanted an 8" wheel for the Kitfox, so went with the light weight double arm Matco. It's worked very well for me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by buckchop View Post
    I have a Matco single arm 6" tailwheel id sell for $100 plus u pay shipping,( like the one in Jrthomas pic's)
    i bought it from Jim, came off his Christavia kit he bought, never been flow, only taxied around on and i took it off and installed a baby bush wheel for snow floatability and i need a liitle more weight on the tail.
    Do you still have the Matco for sale? Looking to replace my Maule Tailwheel.