Have had other things going on but did receive my Garmin stuff and have had a chance to play with the G5. Super easy to get going in a basic sense. 2 wires and an old serial port plug got it going. I'll be putting it in with a GMC507 autopilot controller, and servos, so I want to be able to pipe in navigation data so it can fly a planned route. In that vein, I played around with a $5 bluetooth module, and a $2 TTL to RS232 module, and was able to get Avare on my Android phone talking to the G5 without any problem. You can tell that the nav is working in the picture below because the CDI needle on the G5 has appeared. Without a nav signal the CDI isn't there. There is also a pic of my current plan for the instrument panel. I may or may not mount the standard airspeed indicator. Also, to answer the inevitable questions, the green LCD below the G5 will be an engine monitor that I will build myself, and the green LCD on the right side of the panel will be a home-brew instrument that has the basics in digital format in case I want to fly from the right seat.

IMG_0806.jpg

Instrument panel.jpg