Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 109JB's Kitfox IV rebuild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 109JB's Kitfox IV rebuild

Lets see if i understand what you are saying correctly. I think you are saying that if the fuselage mounted tube the rear spar bolt goes through is rotated CW or CCW when viewed from the side of the fuselage, that this will affect the height of the wing tip when folded.

If I am understanding you correctly I will have to disagree. While that may be true if the rear spar was the only pivot point, it isn't. The lower strut mount on the fuselage is also a pivot point. So when folded the strut is still holding up the wing. The three points that are of concern here are the rear spar attach, the lower fuselage to strut attach, and the strut to wing attach. The triangle formed by these 3 points is very stiff and the mechanical advantage in the strut/wing setup will far outweigh any bending moment influence that bolt going through that short 2.5" long tube at the rear spar attach can muster. So in essence if that tube were misaligned/rotated, folding the wing could put undue stress on the spar bolt, reinforcing plates, etc. but it would not have any appreciable affect on the tip position.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: 109JB's Kitfox IV rebuild

Slightly off topic, I have bent up a few ripper shanks farming and never had any luck re bending them back to original, they always bend again in the same spot usually worse than the first time. Is there a special procedure for bending aircraft tubing during a repair to avoid that.