Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: IV Classic flaperon set up

Default IV Classic flaperon set up

I’m working on setting up the flapperons on my model 4 and am having some issues. This is a project plane that I have rebuilt. There are two variations of the manual and I have both. I was instructed to use the post 2003 manual from the factory. That manual has you push the flap handle full forward and adjust the length of the tube from the flap handle to the flapperon bellcrank to achieve an angle of 19-20 degrees. The pre 2003 manual has you push the flap handle full forward and adjust the tube from the flap handle to the flapperon mixer so that the bellcrank is at 11.4 degrees. When I use the 19-20 degree, the tubes that connect the flapperon belcrank mixer to the flapperon horns are too short. If I use the Pre 2003 manual and the 11.4 degree angle, they fit. I’m inclined to use the 11.4 degree angle. What is the difference in the function of the flapperons between these two options?
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Default Re: IV Classic flaperon set up

Mike,
    My take on the issue might be due to modified lengths with the later iterations. I have built two IV- 1200s. The first a 1993 model and the second a second owned 1992 model. The first one had 900 hours if trouble free flying the second 200 hours. If you are using the original parts, I would go with the early manual. Back then, typical deliveries averaged about 40 kits a month and flaperon control issues were a non topic on the early forums.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: IV Classic flaperon set up

Thanks for the help.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building