Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and planning to buy a kit. Had a few fabrication questions

Default New here and planning to buy a kit. Had a few fabrication questions

Have to say I am so excited to work my way into building a KitFox. I am new to these forums so I hope its okay to ask a few questions regarding what is needed.

I have been fabricating for about 15 years and do have a small 3000 SQ FT toy box/shop we built on our property in Southern Michigan. So my main question is the tooling needs. I have watched some videos and wasn't sure if when I order a kit i literally get a box of tubing or if it is in sections and needs to be welded or bolted together.

I am a very experienced mig welder and have many tools that I think will help. I don't mind if I have to weld the entire thing together, just seemed like a lot of people say they came powder coated so that makes me think there is not a ton of welding. Either way I am fine if it does. I cannot contain the excitement to build one.

So this is what I have at my shop. Any other tools requirements or what else I may need would be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure I don't get only so far and realize I don't have what is needed to do the job.

EQUIPMENT/TOOLING

Bridgeport Knee Mill w/DRO's (Loads of tooling such as drils, end mills and so on)
    5' X 10' CNC Router with Vacuum Table (We built it from scratch with the Bridgeport and my trusty Lincoln Welder)
    Multiple Drill Presses
    Press Break
    Hydraulic Shear
    Mig and Tig Welding Equipment
    Diamond Lapped Fab Table
    Two Horizontal Band Saws on custom built conveyor tables
    All standard cutting and grinding (metal fab) tools
    Large assortment of Dial Indicators, Knee Indicators and so on. Some for tramming the mills and others for simple runoff measurements
    All the normal hand tools
    Large fridge for beer!!
    Large Smoker for some good food on the long days!!

Is there a lot of fixturing items needed? I have seen some of the rotisseries that people built. I can whip one up if needed. Have built several for ground up car builds. But if I need to weld the whole thing together I just want to make sure I don't find myself in a scenario where I get completely stuck. I don't mind machining custom tools or items like that. But in my mind when I make anything of precision, fixturing seems to be where I spend a lot of time. And most of what I build stays on the ground. I would think this is a bit more advanced in the fixturing realm. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask as you all are the pros!!

Cannot wait to begin a KitFox. Any advice would be appreciated. I am looking at the S7 STi kit.
    Last edited by Robert Coulter; 03-09-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Default Re: New here and planning to buy a kit. Had a few fabrication questions

A Kitfox kit should not require any welding unless you decide to do modifications. It is more of an assembly type situation that "building" one. That statement will probably draw a lot of comments but that is my opinion as a guy that has built an airplane from a set of plans and raw stock. Don't get me wrong, assembling a kit airplane like a Kitfox is still a lot of work and no small feat, and there are plenty of things to do. As far as your list of equipment, you definitely have enough that you could "build" a Kitfox if plans for them were available, and certainly enough to make any custom stuff you may want to add to your airplane. As for specialty aircraft type tools, probably aircraft length drills, reamers, cleco's, Hysol epoxy gun, and probably a few other specialty things. I think Kitfox actually sells a builder kit of tools like these airplane purpose type tools.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

You have enough. Order your kit.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Well awesome. I cant thank you enough for the reply. I was thinking it was a full cut and welding fabrication. Makes me even more excited. I am always excited to machine parts and such so I think I will be good on any of those items or mods if needed, even if it is simple brackets or so on. Certainly the folks at KitFox are far more talented than me so I imagine if it could be thought of it wont be me needing to mod it. Looking forward to setting up this build.

I have enjoyed so many things about fabricating, especially the CNC build and some hot rod restorations. But this will take the cake as it actually leaves the ground. Built lots of things that go a few hundred miles per hour but their aero keeps them from flying. Hoping to get my young kids involved as well. Maybe get them in to aviation.

I cannot help myself from dreaming of loading up my fly rods and continuing my quest for Steelhead and Salmon in a KitFox. Good times. So excited to be a newbie to this community and someday hopefully to be able to contribute to the overall effort you all do. Thanks again for your input.

Sounds like your a guy who is going to save some $$$ since you won't need the pre-fab kits. You ought to be able to knock those out quickly yourself.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

What is the prefab kit? I am intrigued. I like saving some greenbacks.

The optional prefab kit includes some premade brackets and fittings. With the equipment you have you could easily make these yourself; the raw material is supplied in the standard kit. The quick build wings is the only optional "prefab" item you might want to order. Buy the build manual (about $50) right away and you can look thru it and see exactly what needs to be done, with or without the prefab options.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Sounds good. I certainly would do the quick wing build kit. As for bracket items small fabricated items. Would be fun and painless to make those items.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

If you go to the Kitfox website and click on Aircraft Kits at the top, the picture that pops up will give you some idea of what you'll get with the full kit.

Rick

One day you will want the paper build manual for sure. Today you can just go on Kitfox website, click on Aircraft Kits, then series 7 super sport and you then will see the assembly manual tab. You're in, look till your hearts content.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X