Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Need help with buying a Kitfox

Default Need help with buying a Kitfox

Hello,
    I am looking to build a Kitfox and was looking at one I saw that was a full Kitfox 2 with the 582 engine for $12,000. I wanted to know what you guys thought, it has sat in a heated garage since it was purchased. The engine was factory installed and had 0 hours on it. The wing was upgraded to increase the useful load of the aircraft. I am currently going to school for my professional pilot degree and want to stay cheap. I have my private pilot just need the tail wheel endorsement but I can do that while I build the plane. What does everyone think about this deal and any advise for me?

Default Re: Need help with buying a Kitfox

Its been a long time since Kitfox 2's were manufactured. So long that it would be prudent to overhaul the 582. Also "factory installed" wasn't a thing for the engine on a kitfox. As for the $12k price for an unfinished kit, I think that is high for a Kitfox 2. If it were a Kitfox IV then it would be ok if everything is there but too high for a Kitfox 2 as far as I am concerned. You can sometimes find flying examples of 2's for less than that.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Its been a long time since Kitfox 2's were manufactured. So long that it would be prudent to overhaul the 582. Also "factory installed" wasn't a thing for the engine on a kitfox. As for the $12k price for an unfinished kit, I think that is high for a Kitfox 2. If it were a Kitfox IV then it would be ok if everything is there but too high for a Kitfox 2 as far as I am concerned. You can sometimes find flying examples of 2's for less than that.

what do you think would be a fare price for this? And after reading it has a updated C gearbox that was factory installed. The kit is about 50% complete. This is the description of the kit.

Denny Kitfox Model 2 Aircraft Kit
    Complete Model 2 kit approx. 50% completed – Stored in a heated garage since the kit was purchased in 1990. Kitfox is a two-place factory designed and tested side-by-side STOL aircraft. Wings fold for trailering or storage.
    Includes all component to complete aircraft:
    -Complete Kitfox Model 2 fuselage factory welded and protected by an epoxy primer coat
    –Includes Dual Ignition/Oil Injection, 582LC Engine, hydraulic disc brakes, electric start, fabric,and all other components to complete aircraft
    - Fuselage factory strengthened to handle either optional floats or cargo container.
    -Rotax 582 Engine with the updated “C” Gearbox (factory installed)
    -Compete VFR Instrument Package (magnetic compass, slip-skid indicator, tachometer, altimeter, airspeed indicator, hour meter, vertical speed indicator, and coolant temp gauge)
    -Wings, struts, Flaperons, and controls factory upgraded to a Model 4 wing to increase aircraft useful load.
    -Wing Tanks (right 13.5 and left 6 gallons)
    - Heater Kit
    - Optional Factory Cargo Container, 5.3 cu ft. (fiberglass, hangs under fuselage center section tight against belly like on a Cessna Caravan. Has two hinged doors. Removable with 4 bolts.
    - Propeller, 3-blade, ground adjustable with leading edge protection.
    - Tundra tire.
    $20,000 in kit, wing upgrade, and engine gearbox upgrade – Sale Price $12,000
    Do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers Read Less

I agree with 109jb on this one. It's been close to 30 years since the model 2 was factory produced. The engine is probably a grey head. I would consider the engine to be worth only core value. If an authorized Rotax service center does the work it will need, well it wont be cheap. The prop is probably a GSC 3 blade wooden prop that Kitfox used to include with the kit. It's not a bad prop but I would seriously consider something else. They have a short TBO. If I remember right it's 400 hours and there's probably a time limit too. The model 4 wing is a good thing if you're ok with more speed but not as good stol. I'd be sure it really is a model 4 wing. A friend just last year bought a model 4/1200 kit for less than that with a 912 engine mount. It was covered and sitting on the gear. Another friend found a low time 912ul for $4000. I believe I'd either try to get a few thousand off or look elsewhere. I would think you'd be able to find a flying model 2 in the $12,000 to $15,000 price range. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jrthomas View Post
    I agree with 109jb on this one. It's been close to 30 years since the model 2 was factory produced. The engine is probably a grey head. I would consider the engine to be worth only core value. If an authorized Rotax service center does the work it will need, well it wont be cheap. The prop is probably a GSC 3 blade wooden prop that Kitfox used to include with the kit. It's not a bad prop but I would seriously consider something else. They have a short TBO. If I remember right it's 400 hours and there's probably a time limit too. The model 4 wing is a good thing if you're ok with more speed but not as good stol. I'd be sure it really is a model 4 wing. A friend just last year bought a model 4/1200 kit for less than that with a 912 engine mount. It was covered and sitting on the gear. Another friend found a low time 912ul for $4000. I believe I'd either try to get a few thousand off or look elsewhere. I would think you'd be able to find a flying model 2 in the $12,000 to $15,000 price range. Maybe?
    Here is some pictures and I just can’t really find any other kits for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also don't ever buy without first flying the model kitfox you are contemplating . Big mistake, When I first was considering a kitfox I flew a model 3 with a 2 stroke and didn't like it and how it handled . Later went to the factory and flew a Series 5 Outback and loved it . Still flying it 17 years later. All model Kitfoxes are not alike. Bruce N199CL

I agree with airlina about flying one first. Early model Kitfoxes and Avids don't fly anything like GA planes. I thought I was a pretty decent pilot until my buddy took me for a ride in his model 2 and turned the controls over to me. What a shock! I chased that ball all way across the panel. I was pretty discouraged at first but he wouldn't give up and I finally learned to tame it. It's a "rudder" airplane for sure but it'll make you a better pilot. It was handful for someone like me who was used to flying something much more docile. Model 4's and later fly like a dream by comparison. I just had a thought! A friend who has his commercial needed to build hours. He bought a "ratty" old Cessna 150. He logged 110 hours in December and 75 in Janurary and who knows since then. They can be bought pretty cheap so he can probably sell it pretty easily when he's finished and get his money back, maybe even turn a profit. A 2 stroke would not be a good time builder if that's what you're planning.