Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV Folded Wing Attach Point

Default Model IV Folded Wing Attach Point

Anyone else with a Model IV 1200 come without a folded wing attach point on the fuselage near the bottom of the vertical stab? Mine is the first picture and I'm told that it should look like the second picture? Kitfox sent me the 3rd picture, but it looks like a different model.
    IMG_2129.jpg84325566_192733461981936_5001193102103281664_n.jpgwing lock back bushing.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Default Re: Model IV Folded Wing Attach Point

My KF 4 was repaired after a loss of control during a high speed taxi event. The guy that repaired/rebuilt it, made some nice mods but in the process, did not put the wing fold attachment through tube back in. For me, it isn't that big of a deal. I folded the wings all the time to share a hanger and I would just bungee the wings together at the strut lift attach brackets and used a cushion over the vertical stabilizer. When I trailered, I made conduit brackets that went from the lift struct attachement brackets at the wing, down to the through tube near the tailwheel. Worked like a champ.

It is in the first picture...the red one. It is under the fabric. You need to cut the fabric out of the tube. It is a 5/16" inside diameter cross tube. You need the lock back braces. One end of each brace attaches to that tube with a long 5/16 bolt and the other end to the lift strut attachment on the wing with a pin.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for this information. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you happen to have any pictures you can share? I forgot to mention that trailering and folding the wings securely is important to me. I already have an enclosed trailer that was built specifically to house and transport the KF.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

There is a tube right at the black mark and that was what I thought was the attach point, but I see there are different options out there?

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    It is in the first picture...the red one. It is under the fabric. You need to cut the fabric out of the tube. It is a 5/16" inside diameter cross tube. You need the lock back braces. One end of each brace attaches to that tube with a long 5/16 bolt and the other end to the lift strut attachment with a pin.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Horizontal incidence1.jpg

The hole on left side of the photo

The different options are on earlier model kitfoxes and avid flyers.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Will this be a problem? My bushing doesn't touch or protrude through the fabric.
    IMG_2135.jpgIMG_2137.jpg

The hole on left side of the photo

The different options are on earlier model kitfoxes and avid flyers.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

The lock back braces need to fight tight against the ends of the cross tube.

I would make two spacers out of the same size tube. Just long enough to protrude through the fabric. When you fold the wings and install the lock back braces, put the bolt through the brace on one side, put a spacer on the bolt, put the bolt through the tube, put the other spacer on , then the other lock back brace. Did that make sense?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Yes, it does make sense, thanks for this.

The lock back braces need to fight tight against the ends of the cross tube.

I would make two spacers out of the same size tube. Just long enough to protrude through the fabric. When you fold the wings and install the lock back braces, put the bolt through the brace on one side, put a spacer on the bolt, put the bolt through the tube, put the other spacer on , then the other lock back brace. Did that make sense?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

I believe picture #2 is probably a model 4/1050. My buddy's model 4/1050 is just like this. My model 4/1200 has the tube like yours.