Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Floor Board Installation

Default Floor Board Installation

Hello to the forum.

I have recently started an SS7 build. I am up to installing the floorboards. Seems pretty straightforward, but, it looks like they can be "centered" in a couple of different ways. I was wondering if any one has photos that they could post of a finished floor installation. It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Default Re: Floor Board Installation

Hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. That helps a lot

-Fred

I have two questions - would appreciate help:

1) I fit the floor boards to my SS7 and all seemed well, after a little trimming. After clamping things in place, I noticed that not all of the floorboard mounting tabs seemed to be present (SS Rev D, Fuselage Inst, Sec C, Page 33, Figure C-1). The manual calls out 16 places where the floor boards should mount to the fuselage weldment. On my fuselage, there seemed to be no (small) tabs for the forward floorboard to mount (arrows in my picture). The holes depicted by the arrows are much too large for the screws and this portion of the fuselage structure sits well below the bottom of the front floorboard. I do not think this is where the factory intended the two front mounting screws to go. In the center floorboard mount, three of the four tabs were present (on each side), but there are no "forward center tabs" (paired arrows). On my picture, the black object on one side is just a clamp, holding the board in place. There are two flat portions of the fuselage directly under the board (where the paired arrows point), and it seems that they could be drilled easily, to allow a mounting screw. The instructions make no comment about drilling into the fuselage. I would appreciate any suggestions. If I am missing something, I would appreciate some instruction.

IMG_2082.jpg
    2) In mounting the flaperon mixer assembly, the manual calls out using safety wire through the castellated nut and around the shaft of the bellcrank (SS Rev D, Fuselage Inst, Sec B, Page 26, Figure B-12). I think that this is what the manual means by that instruction. I place anti-chaffe tape around the shaft, for good measure. Again, I would appreciate any comments.

IMG_2085.jpg

I appreciate any and all comments

Thanks

Fred

7SS - Building
    Planning a Rotax 914
    Torrance, California

Fred, the forward floorboard is held down by screws and nuts thru the channel pieces; they are normally not removed for annuals. The middle boards use screws thru that angled tab you point to. On my build I didn't like using self-tapping screws to hold the floorboards because they are removed every annual. I enlarged the holes thru the tabs and installed Tinnerman nuts and used machine screws. Much better for frequent disassembly and can be tightened more without fear of stripping threads.
    Your flaperon safety wire looks fine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Fred, the forward floorboard is held down by screws and nuts thru the channel pieces; they are normally not removed for annuals. The middle boards use screws thru that angled tab you point to. On my build I didn't like using self-tapping screws to hold the floorboards because they are removed every annual. I enlarged the holes thru the tabs and installed Tinnerman nuts and used machine screws. Much better for frequent disassembly and can be tightened more without fear of stripping threads.
    Your flaperon safety wire looks fine.
    Jim

Thanks for your speedy reply. I like the Tinnerman nut idea

Fred

Castle nuts typically use cotter pins to safety them. I don't know why they would have you use safety wire like that. What you did is safe, but not what I would call standard practice.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Castle nuts typically use cotter pins to safety them. I don't know why they would have you use safety wire like that. What you did is safe, but not what I would call standard practice.
    If my memory serves me correctly, that nut/bolt assembly is safety wired like that because you don't want it rotating in the holes that go through that section of the horn/arm. It rotates on the end by the head of the bolt, inside of a bronze bushing on the fuselage tube structure.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime