Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine for a Kitfox IV

Default Engine for a Kitfox IV

I have decided to make the move from my current 582 and go the four stroke route. I have a Kitfox IV 1200 and wanted your take on what in the way of four stroke engines would work in a Kitfox IV. I know about the 912s, which are definitely in the running, but I would like to explore as many options as possible. I was wondering if the small Continentals would be too heavy for a IV. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Default Re: Engine for a Kitfox IV

The Continental and Lycoming are great engines in an airplane. Simply put, they are too heavy for a model 4. The weight of these engines is one of the primary reasons for the design of the larger model 5 and subsequent models.

The 912 is supported by Kitfox. FWF parts are readily available. But, most important of all, it can be insured.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The Continental and Lycoming are great engines in an airplane. Simply put, they are too heavy for a model 4. The weight of these engines is one of the primary reasons for the design of the larger model 5 and subsequent models.

The 912 is supported by Kitfox. FWF parts are readily available. But, most important of all, it can be insured.
    Thanks for the info. I kind of figured they would be too heavy. I didn't know about the insurance thing though. Thanks again.

Insurance is often something people don’t take into account. “Conversion” engines can be difficult and expensive to get coverage.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos