Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

Default Re: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

John - Joe converted my 2D design to a 3D cad file and I had them printed out of ABS. Right now I'm approaching this as a proof of principle test. If it works well enough I could go to an all aluminum product.

This probably doesn't qualify for "what have I done to my kitfox today" since the "what" involved considerably more than "today".

Early last summer, I started noticing that the 912ULS was requiring more effort to burp when hot - a lot more. Monitoring and measuring the prop shaft torque last summer indicated that the prop shaft torque was continuing to increase. (FYI - 1500 TBO and old version of crankcase). Lots of consulting and it was determined that the issue was crankcase fretting. While Rotax has a limit of 110 foot pounds (150 newton meters) for prop shaft torque, I didn't want to continue to run an engine that was getting worse even if it hadn't reached the limit, so it had to be dealt with.

I would have liked to do the work myself; however, the tools required to do that were way too expensive for a one off job. Getting the engine overhauled also gets pretty close to the cost of a new engine especially considering freight back and forth. Seemed the best option was further jeopardizing the children's inheritance and getting a new engine.

One of our list sponsors, LEAF, close by and just east of my location in WI, had one each engine sitting in their warehouse at the time and the first person to show up with the cash gets it - which I did. Since that time, it appears that the company's website has shown the engine on backorder ever since - I have always been lucky and find that on very, very rare occasion it might be GOOD luck.

Bare knuckled wrenching in a drafty unheated hangar this past winter is no fun. January, February and most of March have been nasty unseasonably cold so I didn't get very many days on task over the winter. Not exactly a picnic right now either but 30 degrees is manageable and I was able to get the new engine install completed with a test run yesterday; and, everything worked as it should. Still have some more ground run time and checking plus a transponder update so hope to be flying again in April.

Haven't determined what to do with the retired engine yet. That was also kind of grim financially as it has less than 500 hours (a long way from 1500), just had a $1,000 rubber replacement as well as a $2,000 soft start CDI replacement the year before when the last of the two old ducati modules developed its "cut in" issue.

Hoping for the best now and we'll see how this thing runs this summer
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Ouch Dave $$$! Sorry to hear this. Hoping new engine runs to 4,000 hours trouble free to average out your "per hour" running costs. Hope you get back in the air soon.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Competed the fairings for the good ol Monster Shocks and installed same. Tried to get honest test flight speed numbers but the turbulence was way past acceptable. Now awaiting a calm day.

Shock fairings completed.jpg

Shock fairings installed.jpg

Looking great!

Removed the round dial gauges, radio, xponder and all the associated wiring. Swapping in a G3X!

IMG_2989.jpg
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Best of luck Dave. Will be sweet when complete. Great seeing you and Steve today.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Fitted a new set of wing tips. Going from Hoener wingtips to standard with AeroLED wigwags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Decided to give the Velco holding the baggage bag a bit more rigidity and hopefully eliminate the sticky mess that occurs with higher temperatures.
    Baggage compartment fit improvement.jpg

Always looking for a better result, or perfection!