Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

Added STOLSpeed VGs.

IMG_4896.jpg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hey Larry, how about a before after report on your VG's once you get to flight testing. Thinking of doing the same . Thanks Bruce N199CL

Started fabricating back deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

What are you doing to your baggage are?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahle76 View Post
    Started fabricating back deck.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Quote Originally Posted by redbowen View Post
    What are you doing to your baggage are?
    I’m building a shelf and then covering it with some velour that matches the the Kitfox upholstery. Decided not to use it for a baggage area.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

With expert help from Desertfox4 today I got my spinner installed.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Replaced the jumper wires between my circuit breakers with copper bus-bars. Definitely cleaned up a lot of wires and crimp on connectors.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

In the past days I've learnt a lot about the Bing carburettors on my 912ULS. On start-up the engine ran very rough. I shut down and after some investigation a friendly Rotax expert found one of the rubber carburettor mounts (between carb and manifold) had cracked.

We removed both carbs and disassembled them then ordered new mounts, new membranes, new float frames plus gaskets and o-rings. The floats
    tested ok i.e. floated nicely and weighed within limits so were re-used. A few days later another friend and Rotax expert helped me assemble and mount the carbs and then demonstrated his method for balancing them. I'd not been getting it right. The test run revealed a very smooth running motor. The next day the airfield closed due to Corona Virus restrictions so I'm grounded but very happy to have my motor running again.

Why did the rubber mount fail? I blame age and winter starts. My maintenance schedule calls for an annual inspection but that would not have revealed this crack which started from inside. The schedule will be changed to call for replacement every 5 years along with an annual inspection. Winter starts are always a bit rough with the use of choke and of course the cold temps will make the rubber more brittle. Experience gained and lesson learnt.

Oh and I didn't mention the pic. Taken from the Kitfox flying past Venice lagoon last year. On the return trip we landed at the famous Venice Lido airfield and had a nice evening in Venice. Aren't planes fun?

Welcome Bob. There are those of us that try to get it done on the cheap. I have $46,700 invested in my KF5. Allot of the cost of most Kitfoxes besides the initial kit is in the engine choice and Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS), and/or an Engine Information System (EIS), and Avionics. Like Eric, I lucked into an abandoned kit for $8750. I went with a used engine w/800 hrs on it, a Grand Rapids EIS and used steam gauges. Avionics are modest, a new GTR200, a used GTX327,uAvionics Echo UAT, Area660 GPS. I bought other things off other members of TeamKitfox like strobe lights, landing lights, etc. I got many parts from Kitfox, Inc. As Eric said, Heather and Debra are great. If you ever go see them, take some Snickers. Likely, they have the KF4 as a PDF but, I don't know that they do however, this is the right place to get help and surely someone out there has an inventory list.

Given your skills and apparent time to work on it, there is nothing on the Kitfox that you could not make yourself if you had to. The advantage of the kit is time to build but, having built a couple of planes from scratch, it just takes the desire, time and, effort to make what you need. Although, there are so many KF4s out there you shouldn't have to make anything.

Flight instruction is going to vary on a lot of things, i.e. what the local CFIs are charging. I paid $60/hr last week to get current and do the flight review. We used a Remose Light Sport plane that was $120/hr. I have no idea what the going rate might be elsewhere but the school that I used had a private pilot package for $13,500 and a Light Sport pilot for $9,500. Good luck.
    Fred

P.S. Eric, you're most welcome.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ