Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Warning about spoiler range on the flap lever question

Default Warning about spoiler range on the flap lever question

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]This post is in regard to the so called spoiler range on the kitfox 4 flaperon lever. I can't find this page in my paper copy of the Kitfox build manual, but it was in the CD version which is most likely updated and newer. I take off and land with the flap lever all the way forward all the time. I have a elevator trim tab for level cruise flight so don't use the flaps for trim. Can anyone tell me why this warning is in the manual? JImChuk

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]
    All reactions:

[/COLOR]

Default Re: Warning about spoiler range on the flap lever question

My guess is the AOA in spoilers is too great for the ailerons to produce lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
    My guess is the AOA in spoilers is too great for the ailerons to produce lift.
    I don't understand what you are trying to say. JImChuk

After reviewing the original question, I?m going to let someone else answer this because I can?t figure out why there would be spoilers on a Kitfox. My apologies.
    Last edited by Billiken; 04-28-2024 at 08:05 PM.

There are not spoilers on a kitfox. Kitfox was calling the lowest settings on the flap lever the spoiler range. In that area, the flaperons would be at their lowest angle of attach setting. I take off from that setting all the time, and hundreds of takeoffs later have never noticed any problem. JImChuk

The flap spoiler range on the Kitfox model 4 is achieved by rigging the flaps to be in the Reflex position with the flap handle all the way down. The trailing edge of the flaps is higher than the neutral position to create a spoiler effect. It is used to bleed off altitude without reducing power. The instructions how to rig the flaps this way was in my 1994 version of the model 4 builder's manual as best I can remember.

If your flaps are rigged this way you need to pull the flap handle up out of the reflex range on take off. Did that make sense to you Jim?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the reply. I did know that Avids had a negative flap setting all the way forward that was supposed to give a little better cruise speed. I do know on my first Avid, the plane was squirrely in flight with that setting. I put a stop in so I couldn't accidently go there. I'm guessing this is the same thing. Funny that it isn't in all manuals. Another issue I found was different is in the one manual, you set the bell crank arm at 11.4 degrees, and in the later CD version, it shows 19 or 20 degrees. The later CD version is the manual with the flap spoiler warning in it... Related perhaps??? Here are the drawings from the two different manuals. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by avidflyer; Today at 09:32 AM.