Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

Default Re: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox? Installed the wings and wing tips!

Starting to look like a real plane! IMG_2429.jpgIMG_2427.jpgIMG_2423.jpg

Default Re: What Have You Done Today To Your Kitfox?

I am about to put the Shock Monsters on my 4-1200. Any chance you have plans or drawings for the fairings you built? Looks like what I want to do to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Competed the fairings for the good ol Monster Shocks and installed same. Tried to get honest test flight speed numbers but the turbulence was way past acceptable. Now awaiting a calm day.

Attachment 30087

Attachment 30088

No problem sending you my drawing and the CAD models. PM sent.

  I experienced substantial vibration on my brake lines where they enter the fuselage and pass over a piece of the frame and needed to keep this from happening again. The lines needed to be attached to the frame but the under side of the fabric would wear through against anything wrapped around the frame like a zip tie. I decided to use waxed lacing cord, but needed to have a a cushion on the top of the stringer that would stay put.
          This was accomplished by cutting a piece of hose in half and drilling two holes for the lacing cord to pass through and hold it exactly in place while providing cushion and some give. The brake lines exit the bottom of the fuselage through a seaplane grommet and right into the Grove gear.

Bob Cunningham
    Kitfox S7brakeline4.jpgbrakeline1.jpgbrakeline2.jpgbrakeline3.jpg

Hi Bob,

Glad you caught the chafing before it cut through the nylaflo.

One of the functions of the grove gear is the springing action on landing or takeoff which results in a large vertical motion near the center of the fuselage - right where we can't see it happening when it is happening. The gear bar/structure moves up and down quite a lot at the midpoint of the center section, and anything attached at the middle will likewise move a lot. It appears that your fabric penetration is quite close to the center of the fuselage which would explain a whole lot of motion.

I have no idea what the current build manual says about locating the penertration of the skin; and, I certainly don't recall from long ago what my build manual said.

A good strategy is to locate the fabric penetration as close to the fore/aft centerline of each gear hinge by the port and starboard side of the fuselage bottom. That way the up and down motion on will be almost nothing.

I did a fabric penetration in front of each gear hinge at the centerline ( on a trigear), then pointed the nylaflo towards the fitting a bit inboard on the gear spring. Used red RTV to seal and hold the nylaflo at the penetration; and, the original installation is still unmolested since the build completion in 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

You might also consider steel braided brake lines. I purchased what I needed to make up brake lines with steel braded after one of my nyloflo lines broke in two. Fortunately that happened on the ground.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I had a VERY productive weekend, FINALLY! I have the new gear and tires installed. I cleaned up a bit of wiring. I re-ran the fuel lines, for the FOURTH time! Oh, and I hung the engine on her. the RedRiver Fox is getting close!

Check out the video log. https://www.youtube.com/@ScottInTheClouds

From your YouTube video, it looks like the two lower engine mounts with the rubber isolators are almost touching the exhaust muffler. Seems like that is way too close and will quickly harden and crack the rubber.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    From your YouTube video, it looks like the two lower engine mounts with the rubber isolators are almost touching the exhaust muffler. Seems like that is way too close and will quickly harden and crack the rubber.
    Yeah, I had already planned on putting a heat shield down there. I have also considered creating a duct to force air between the shield and engine, but will wait to see how that pans out.

Picked up 2 Super Sport kits!

crates.jpg

Ordered late Feb 2021.

Unpacking party and pizza at my house tonight! ;-)
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)