Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Basic Wing Question

Default Basic Wing Question

Just finished leveling wings (root to tip & front to back) with a 4' level and everything's level - instructions say when folded back (for transport) they should still be level ... mine aren't (dealing with a Classic IV Speedster here) left wing is about 3" higher than the right wing ... all the pics I've seen with wings in transport mode show them as level with each other ... should I be worried? If so, any suggestions? In flight mode (wings extended) those puppies ARE level ...

Default Re: Basic Wing Question

I’ve seen many Kitfox’ that flew perfect but when wings were folded over the tail the wings were not perfectly level with each other.
    Wouldn’t keep me from flying or buying one.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I spent days adjusting, checking, rechecking over 3 days with a couple different sets of eyes before drilling any holes only to find the same issue with my IV classic. Kitfox told me to set it up in flying configuration and don’t worry about the position of the tips when the wings are folded. Talking with other IV owners, apparently it’s not uncommon.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

I've done a lot of welding with and without jigs and post weld warpage is a fairly common challenge. Getting a welded structure perfect in every measurable dimension is virtually impossible. This topic was a common point of discussion back in the early e-mail list days. The consensus- rig for flying and let the folded wings fall where they may. It is true that some rigged so It would look perfect in their garage or on their trailer, but....
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi have you read service letter #25 March 12 1993,
    both my wings are level after swing back!
    Mike
    ps my dihedral is 1/2” as per speedster build Manuel

Previously owned a KF5 and now my 7SS, both fly level hands off, was told... "set wings per plans, adjust as needed for flight, don't worry about what it looks like with the wings back"