Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: carburetor heat recommendation for 912 ULS?

Default Re: carburetor heat recommendation for 912 ULS?

Thanks everyone, your inputs are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by hallschuch View Post
    Thanks everyone, your inputs are appreciated!
    Just added a picture of the temp in the carb whilst coming home from Ireland last summer, glorious day as you can see, the temperatures and too the left of throttle the carb heat knob pulled half way out too maintain that temp. Stay safe I was hotter than the engine as wearing an emersion suit so stopped off at Bute too de robe
    88057145-F1AA-445E-BD4A-44C9760A3D44.jpg

Just to make the point once again, the point that John Evens was making. The big difference between needing or not needing a carburettor heat system on a Kitfox with a Rotax is usually determined by whether you are drawing intake air from the front of the cowl or from the rear, underneath the cowl with the carbs facing the firewall. Accumulated experience with both Rotax and the Kitfox would (I think) lead to the conclusion that a system drawing intake air from the front (outside) of the cowl requires a carburettor heat system while one drawing warm air from the rear inside of the cowl does not.

I am flying with the latter system, i.e. no carburettor heat device or system because I am using a smooth cowl and the Rotax 912 ULS carburettors draw warm air from the rear, that is they face the firewall. The one concern I have is that in winter the motor runs rather cool and I have worried that it might be too cool under that cowling to provide the necessary warm (temperature differential) air. To address this, in winter I partially cover both the oil cooler and radiator with aluminium tape and bring the temperatures closer to those I would see in summer. I hasten to add that I have never experienced carburettor ice despite flying in low temps and moist conditions. Ground testing with cowls removed in ideal icing conditions also failed to produce a problem. However keeping those engine temps up to normal gives me a warm feeling in winter so that I fly without worrying about carburettor icing.

Quote Originally Posted by Auster View Post
    Just to make the point once again, the point that John Evens was making. The big difference between needing or not needing a carburettor heat system on a Kitfox with a Rotax is usually determined by whether you are drawing intake air from the front of the cowl or from the rear, underneath the cowl with the carbs facing the firewall. Accumulated experience with both Rotax and the Kitfox would (I think) lead to the conclusion that a system drawing intake air from the front (outside) of the cowl requires a carburettor heat system while one drawing warm air from the rear inside of the cowl does not.

I am flying with the latter system, i.e. no carburettor heat device or system because I am using a smooth cowl and the Rotax 912 ULS carburettors draw warm air from the rear, that is they face the firewall. The one concern I have is that in winter the motor runs rather cool and I have worried that it might be too cool under that cowling to provide the necessary warm (temperature differential) air. To address this, in winter I partially cover both the oil cooler and radiator with aluminium tape and bring the temperatures closer to those I would see in summer. I hasten to add that I have never experienced carburettor ice despite flying in low temps and moist conditions. Ground testing with cowls removed in ideal icing conditions also failed to produce a problem. However keeping those engine temps up to normal gives me a warm feeling in winter so that I fly without worrying about carburettor icing.
    Hi Auster,
    if you take a look at my pic, you will see a T handle 2nd left of throttle, locks with quarter turn. This controls a hinged door in the radiator scoop and varies the amount of air passing through my radiator. Fail safe too fully open the good part I can close off the radiator or fully open subject to how cold or hot I want my engine. Wasn’t happy with guessing how much too blank of. Also during long descent can close the cowl and keep the engine warm great for winter starts and quick warm up.
    as for carb ice well you take your chances it’s a known killer and after the accident the evidence melts away,
    if you know the temps in the carb your good if you assume thier temp good luck!
    Stay safe,
    sturdee.