Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Premiums

Default Insurance Premiums

Now that I’m seriously considering buying a Kitfox, I’ve started looking at insurance costs and the quotes I’ve received so far are astronomical. I’m getting on the order of $3000/year for about $65k hull coverage (moving flight and ground). I’ve done some reading through the forums and other websites and it seems most people are getting quotes in the range of $1200-$1700. I know I’m a relatively new pilot (170 hours total with 20 hours on tailwheel and more accumulating weekly), but it seems weird that it’s so drastically higher than most.

Is it simply the hours or did I just get an unfavorable quote? Or is this just another way GA is becoming less affordable? Has anyone had any luck with specific insurance brokers\providers?

Default Re: Insurance Premiums

I was getting 3-5k rates. Most underwriters told me no thanks. I joined EAA and had falcon give me a quote. 1800 for 110k hull with 40 hours tailwheel. Biggest reason I joined EAA is you get a license to solid works. I have been watching lots of Youtube.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I used Falcon for years, with the Avid, and the Chief. Last year I went shopping, and ended up switching to Avemco on the Avid for about a 25% less rate. Went with Butler Brown on the Chief, and it was about 40% less then Falcon. Not sure that Butler Brown does experimentals though. I had the Avemco on the Avid in effect before I learned about Butler Brown, and never tried to get the Avid insured through them. I should call them up and see, I just sent in my last years hours to Avemco today for next year's quote. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I was getting 3-5k rates. Most underwriters told me no thanks. I joined EAA and had falcon give me a quote. 1800 for 110k hull with 40 hours tailwheel. Biggest reason I joined EAA is you get a license to solid works. I have been watching lots of Youtube.
    My quote was from falcon as well. When did you get your quote? I wonder if the rates have gone up recently. Or do you have a lot of additional hours and ratings?

Yes, rates have gone up significantly in the last year. Mine went up over 25%. Low hours and lack of tailwheel time is going to drive it up even more.

There has already be lots of discussion on this topic. Try doing a search on the forum.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

They didn’t care I had a lot of total time because I didn’t have any tailwheel time or kitfox time. They said they would not insure me until I had 10 hours in MM and it would be 5k. I “self” insured until I got 50 hours then I went back and got more quotes.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

AOPA recently published (23 Jan. 2020) WHY INSURANCE RATES ARE INCREASING 10 TO 100 PERCENT

Q&A WITH CEO OF ASSUREDPARTNERS AEROSPACE

Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Rates are a simple “risk vs reward” math problem for the insurance companies as with the consumers.
    As more and more Kitfox pilots make claims against their insurance the more the risk to the insurance companies so the more they charge. If all Kitfoxs were trike gear and only landed on paved runways the average rate would be a fraction of what they are.
    As for the customers, if you choose to carry liability only your rate will plummet. You accept the risk and collect the financial reward.
    I’m not saying to drop hull coverage or all insurance but it’s a matter of finding your comfort zone.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    They didn’t care I had a lot of total time because I didn’t have any tailwheel time or kitfox time. They said they would not insure me until I had 10 hours in MM and it would be 5k. I “self” insured until I got 50 hours then I went back and got more quotes.
    I spoke to them and they said they are looking for 100+ hours in the type to get a decent price break. They also told me that I'd have to fly the plane a lot just to keep up with the yearly insurance hikes.

Great news for me. Just got my insurance doc. today. My premium dropped $500. I guess going from 15 hours in type and tailwheel to 170 in type and tailwheel helped. I guess its likely they consider the airplane has now got 170 hours without damage as well vs. Zero hours.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X