Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance Premiums

Default Re: Insurance Premiums

Just got my insurance bill for the Avid Flyer yesterday. I had Avemco last year, they came in about 1/3 less then Falcon. We had switched the Chief to Butler Brown, and they were about 1/3 less then Falcon as well. The policies come due about 6 months apart. The Chief has 22,000 hull insurance on it for $775, the Avid is just liability. Couple weeks ago, I got a quote from Butler Brown for the Avid, and they quoted me $735 for just liability. I was expecting a big increase when I opened the bill yesterday from Avemco, but it actually had gone down from $435 to $396. I made out the check pretty quick before they change their mind. It seems there is no rhyme or reason to what the going rates are. JImChuk

Just curious what the price difference is with no hull insurance & just liability vs hull insurance & liability.

Getting concise quotes and clear limits is a study in insurance to say the least. The short version of my story is: I found the most reasonable process and pricing by going thru USAA - if you happen to have home or auto with them, I'd start there. If not, disregard all since good morning.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOW JW View Post
    Just curious what the price difference is with no hull insurance & just liability vs hull insurance & liability.
    Hull insurance is most of your premium, as I found out insuring a Warbird. Fifteen years of paying premiums would buy another aircraft.

People who pad their hull value are not doing themselves any favor

Quote Originally Posted by SNOW JW View Post
    That all depends on the agreed value of the airplane. In my case I have an agreed value of $20,000 on my Kitfox IV and 2 of the quotes I received last year were :

Quote #1 - total premium (Hull + liability) $1332, Liability $442
    Quote #2 - total premium (Hull + liability) $1004, Liability $325
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I was thinking that the liability was only 1/3 of the total. This seems to be the case.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I was thinking that the liability was only 1/3 of the total. This seems to be the case.
    But that is for a $20k agreed value on a kitfox IV. I wouldn't expect the liability portion to change if the agreed value was $40k since it would still be a kitfox IV, but I would expect the hull coverage to increase significantly.

Now take a new build Kitfox 7. Still about the same liability exposure, but a whole lot more risk in the hull coverage.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I'm paying $256 (18% of my total policy cost for the "standard" $1,000,000 liability coverage). I'm only insured for $60,000 hull coverage. I don't know if it would be the same without the hull coverage... I suspect not.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime