Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox mods

Default Kitfox mods

The thread about flight training in Alabama has drifted into Kitfox mods. I have listed comments and pictures on the mods done to my aircraft. Rather then relist all here if you interested in that subject, you could look at that thread.
    Dick

Default Re: Kitfox mods

Dick-

(I'll ask here so that I don't clutter that thread any further)

Your bush gear, It is obvious that it added width, stability and got rid of those nasty bungees, but, did it add any height, in other words is it taller than the standard gear, giving a better AOA in the three point stance?

Thanks.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Steve,
    The "bush gear " did increase the height. I would guess about 1-2 inches. It is only a guess because I noticed the difference when I turned the prop right after installation (had to stretch a bit higher). It is ironic because I measured the angle yesterday.I have been having problems with my TrueTrac ADI. It is now regestering a 500 ft climb as the new level flight and I can't adjust it. The manual said that 10 degrees up was the max off level. I measured across the instrument and it is 5.9 degrees. The instrument runs along the axis so there you go. The nose sits at about 6 degrees up from level.
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

catz, that carb sync thing is installed in the cable going to just one of the carbs and changes cable length in relation to the other one ? is that how it works ? obviously the guages still have to be hooked up ?
    nice looking gear mod . what tires and wheels are you using ?
    cp

I am using the stock Douglas wheels with Nanking tires. The carb sync is a small plastic knob that attaches to a fitting on one side of the throttle cable attached to the bellcrank inside the cockpit. The newer Kitfoxes don't have this bellcrank so it wouldn't work. You turn the knob which moves the cable at very small increments. You do need the gauges hooked up to do it correctly. You are syncing one carb to the other. I use a "Twin Max" carb sync instrument. Once the needle is centered on the Twin Max then you are synced and I safety wire the knob (it really doesnt' need it due to the design) Take a look at HighwingLLC and it will make a little more sense ,I think. There you will find a picture of the Throttle Link as well as other "goodies"
    Dick

Here are some of the other mods I have on my aircraft. The last two pictures are elevator gap seals. No tape !!! I found the rubber material at a flea market and after a little cutting it slid right in .It fits perfectly and is working out well.
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images