Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I use opposite rudder?

Default Re: Should I use opposite rudder?

Curious: Reading this thread, I can only find one hinted reference to aileron control - "stick". The Kitfox has a heavy history of owner pilots discovering that their wing tanks don't empty evenly. This contributed to the modification of adding fuel valves in the lines from the wing tanks. In my experience, the uneven fuel flow has been most likely due to the tendency for all of us to fly one wing low. Generally while following in our routine flights of 6 I found that the one wing low was very typical in the airplanes ahead of me and when flying in a flight of one, I find that not infrequently, my ball is not centered when in straight and "level" flight and then when checking on right wing to horizon and left wing to horizon i find that my left wing is low. In this case, stepping on the ball, will coordinate the apparent discrepancy, but the airplane will still be left wing low.

This phenomenon is far more common with the early models as the glare shield lacks the flat top used most commonly as a horizon reference, The only cockpit visible reference is the carry through above the windshield - typically above the bill of my cap. In short, I would suggest that if the ball is far to the right in a left turn, bank angle should be considered as well.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I'll chime in with my experience. I have a Model 2 with a 582 and experience exactly the same effect. When turning base to final if I lead with rudder the ball starts sliding out and have to apply right rudder to get it back to center. Its a dance but with practice I have started finding the seat of your pants feel and can tell when i'm not coordinated. So right rudder in a left turn is common with My Model 2.

I still say it is due to adverse yaw.

When rolling into the turn (ailerons deflected), you need lots of rudder in the same direction of the turn to counteract that adverse yaw. Once you get to the bank angle you desire you neutralize the ailerons and the adverse has goes away, but the rudder is still displaced yielding too much rudder in the direction of the turn and the ball swings to the outside. At this point you don't need opposite rudder, you need less rudder in the turn direction.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobramatt View Post
    I'll chime in with my experience. I have a Model 2 with a 582 and experience exactly the same effect. When turning base to final if I lead with rudder the ball starts sliding out and have to apply right rudder to get it back to center. Its a dance but with practice I have started finding the seat of your pants feel and can tell when i'm not coordinated. So right rudder in a left turn is common with My Model 2.
    Exactly describes my experience in my Model III as well.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med