Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: torque for a 912 Uls ring mount bolt

Default torque for a 912 Uls ring mount bolt

I'm not sure of the torque pressure for the Allen head screws, that connect the Ring mount to the engine.
    The site at CPS were l bought the bolts had them at 30 lb. It seems light. The bolts are m10x35
    Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks

Default Re: torque for a 912 Uls ring mount bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Flyby5 View Post
    I'm not sure of the torque pressure for the Allen head screws, that connect the Ring mount to the engine.
    The site at CPS were l bought the bolts had them at 30 lb. It seems light. The bolts are m10x35
    Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks
    Flyby5,

30 ft.lbs. is called out in the specs that I have. That isn't light... as a matter of comparison, in the "standard" table for metric fastener sizes in the Rotax documents, the torque for a 10 mm bolt is listed as 26 ft.lbs. (312 in.lbs.).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: torque for a 912 Uls ring mount bolt

As a general comment, I never cease to be absolutely amazed at folks asking technical critical questions on an internet forum such as this. Personally I would trust anything John says on this forum but he is one of few. Even the best of us can misunderstand your question or make a typo in responding. Questions such a bolt torque on critical fasteners are easily answered by reliable factory specs in the free online Rotax installation, maintenance and parts manuals. Other critical equipment also always has factory specs and instructions. Probably I am overreacting and most questions such as this are just looking for some feel good confirmation of information you have ALREADY gotten or plan to get from official factory info; if so I apologize. This is such an excellent forum with many really good knowledgeable people that it may be easy to forget to use the "horses mouth" whenever possible. I heard John McB once say that he was surprised at some of the misinformation posted here and never questioned. This is not meant to be a rant, but just my thoughts in the interest of safety and quality.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS