Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Getting ready to pull the trigger...help me decide which trigger to pull

Default Getting ready to pull the trigger...help me decide which trigger to pull

I’ve been in contact with Paul at Stick & Rudder for a demo flight (unfortunately the weather and my work/family schedule haven’t cooperated for this to happen). My wife and toddler son also took a day last week with me to drive to Homedale (we are in Boise) to see the factory and talk to John (thanks John for the great hospitality!)

I’ve got the support of my wife, have the money, but I just can’t decide whether to call John up and order the SS7 or the STi.....tough choice, either package when I add in all the goodies, must haves, and want-to-have come out roughly at the same price point.

After talking with John I’ve decided to stick with the Poly covering systems, and right now my preliminary plan is the 915 and Garmin G3X touch, all subject to change 1,000 times over the course of the build.

I’m trying to get some feedback from builders and pilots flying both models as to the pros and cons they experienced in the build and while flying. This is an expensive endeavor and I want to make certain I’m making the most prudent choice for my build. I’d like to just go putz around southern Idaho, take trips into the backcountry to do some fishing/camping, scouting hunting areas, and make the occasional trip to Idaho Falls to pick up my wife’s elderly mother so she doesn’t drive over to Boise so much to see her only grandchild.

I’m hoping you all can help me add some real world data points to each model so that it can help me make an informed and educated choice on which model to start building.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. This will be my first build, but I’ve got more flight time than I’d like to admit in a very wide variety of aircraft from fully aerobatic, to old J-3’s, to some of the newest Boeing aircraft to come off the line (not the 737 Max!). Basically a lot of aviation flying experience, no building experience, head in the clouds with all things aviation from my earliest memories.... I just can’t decide which model to choose from!

Default Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger...help me decide which trigger to pull

The build is straight forward with either kit. The 915 engine makes the firewall forward a little more complicated. However the issue is what is your primary use of the machine. If you are a rabid short field person then the STi is the plane. But if you are after a variety of flying with more cross-country intermixed with some average short field then the SS7 would be the way to go. Then there is the issue of tail wheel or nose wheel. I purchased my SS7/912iS with most of the options including both nose and tail wheels. At 280 hrs it is still on the nose wheel. Tail wheel can increase the insurance cost quite a bit. However it would be a sin to put the STi on a nose wheel, (if that is an option with the STi).

Default Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger...help me decide which trigger to pull

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Then there is the issue of tail wheel or nose wheel.
    Strictly tailwheel. I have no desire to build and fly a tricycle gear aircraft.

Hi Mike and welcome! You are embarking on quite the adventure. This forum is a great tool. My brother and myself are building STI’s. Mine is flying and his is close. I have minimal time in a 7ss (1 hour) so can’t give you the best comparison. I think the guy who is the best info on this is John Moriarty. He had a 7SS and then put a STi wing on. STI wing does better at high DA’s and high altitude. 7SS is quite a bit faster. John is from Idaho so maybe you can connect with him?

We went with the STI because we where not building these planes to be a cross country plane. We wanted the shortest takeoff distances and best climb. Of course when I am in cruise I wish they where faster. STI is a 100mph plane. 7SS is like 20mph faster I think. Both land short.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Dustin, thanks for the info. I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum and watched your build log with great interest.

I’ll try and see if I can find John on the forums and get in touch with him.

-Mike

I have always flown an SS7 so I don't have any personal comparison to the STi, but after being on this forum for nearly 10 years in addition to monitoring other backcountry and big tire groups I have formed a personal opinion on this subject. The mission you have indicated will be served quite well by the SS7. Any "designated" airstrip, backcountry or otherwise, can be adequately flown into and out of with the SS7 and 100 hp, with proper mountain flying training of course. With your 915 this will be even easier and your occasional x-country cruising will be great. In my opinion, the STi is only for missions that include very short "off-airport" operations, high density altitude operations, or the need to keep up with your super cub buddies. If none of these things are necessary to your mission, what you give up in STi cruise speed is just not worth it. By the way, I do my share of "off-airport" operations but have to choose the ones I and my SS7 are capable of; also I must choose cooler mornings when I do high density altitude operations. Just my 2 cents.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The way I see it is. Do what suits your needs and fits your budget. I have waited a long time to build one of these contraptions. Since 1984 when I got married and started a family. Wow that's a long time. Some others have been lucky to call this their main hobby or interest and built several in all these years. Just got done with a cobra build a few years ago and turned out awesome. It was also something I wanted to do but didn't have the funds or time to do because I was busy raising my family which took everything I had. I went with all the bells and whistles with that build and am sure glad I did. Turned out just like I needed and wanted. Glad I waited. Now I will be getting one of these in June and the Latest and greatest is on my list too. Will it fit my missions needs? I think so but don't have the seat time like you do flying. I know the next step for me is the build and there are to parts to these kits. The build takes everything you have if you want to get it done correctly and timely. Then there is the flying part. If that part is anything like the cobra...… I will have a blast with the one that does everything and more. Go with the one that does thing easily and with no limits if you can afford it. Plus safety is the key.
    Starfox