Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Frustrations with tires

Default Frustrations with tires

Wondering what kind of experience others have had with tire life of the standard 600-6 and 500-5 used on later model Kitfox aircraft (S7).

The original tires that came with my kit from the old skystar company were branded "aero trainer" . These started developing groove cracks when there was still 70% of the tread left and no other damage. I have always been careful to keep inflation within specs. I have no idea how old these were when I received them with the kit.

4 years ago I replaced the groove cracked tires with Air Trac branded ones of the same size. These started developing groove cracks last fall. Again, plenty of tread left and the tires were never run underinflated. Aircraft use has been approximately 40 hours per year (in other words - not enough!)

From what limited references I can find on line, groove cracks can be the result of underinflation or exposure to ozone which is apparently very destructive on rubber.

These things don't wear out - but they have developed groove cracks with a whole lot of tread left in what I think is way too short of time.

Both brands are the high crown design and I am wondering of that design is more prone to this problem than tires with a flatter contact area???

Any ideas welcome - particularly if anyone has had good luck with another brand.

Appreciate anyone's knowledge/experience with this
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Frustrations with tires

If you have any need for 8.50’s you’d likely never kill the Desser smoothies. Also, buy a bottle of 303 UV and spray your tires every so often. If you need 600x6 tires take a look at Michelin. I had a set on my 182 and loved them.

Default Re: Frustrations with tires

I second the 303 protectant recommendation, Dave. Just keep it off the brake disks. I used to run Goodyear 4-ply Flight Custom II’s on my first homebuilt. They were 5.00-5’s & on an airplane that landed at least 25 mph faster than my Kitfox, so they had a lot more average contact time with the ground at higher speeds. The Thorp also weighed a little more than the Kitfox. I would get over 600 hrs. on a set, never swapped them left for right, and never saw any cracks like you’ve described. Just FWIW.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime