Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1991 Kitfox 1 main fuel tank coating debris

Default 1991 Kitfox 1 main fuel tank coating debris

Hello all. I've been having an issue with white debris from the main tank clogging the fuel delivery. The debris looks almost like teflon tape. After draining the tanks and rinsing many times I was still getting debris. I fashioned a brush with long handle and used it to scrub the bottom of the tank and then used a shop vac with a smaller hose duct taped on the hose. I was able to remove large pieces of debris with the vac. It looks like someone may have coated this tank at some point. Best case would be to remove the tank and replace it with a new one. Unfortunately it looks like a really big job to remove this tank. I'm thinking of using MEK to try and disolve the coating. Would MEK eat up the plastic tank? How about Ascetone? Anyone ever cut a hole in their tank for access to clean and remove coating and plastic weld the removed piece back? Any and all input welcomed. Thanks.Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 11.26.52 AM.png

Default Re: 1991 Kitfox 1 main fuel tank coating debris

Here is a thread I found by searching the archives on dealing with Kreem coming loose. I'm sure there are more. They will probably steer you in the right direction. JImChuk

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/4124-In-Wing-Kreem-Slosh-removal-method

Thanks for the link! This is my main tank behind the firewall, not wing tank. should work with same procedure though?

Sorry, I misread you post. Not sure why anyone would put sealant in the plastic tank. One good thing, is it would be way easier to change out then a wing tank if you decide to remove it. You can probably find an unused one somewhere if you post an add. Cleaning out the stuff inside should be easier then the wing tanks as well, and you might want to use the MEK instead of the acetone. MEK is a stronger solvent. JImChuk

The tank does not look very easy to remove. I'm going to try the MEK method. Thanks again!

If my memory is correct, the fuel tank goes out toward the back. That should make it fairly easy to take it out. It will be some work no doubt, but not near as bad as it would be if you had to pull the engine and firewall. Sure will make it a lot easier to slosh it out, if the tank is out of the plane. And what if you discover a leak. Don't think I ever heard of anyone sloshing the plastic tanks, so I wonder why they did that. Hope it goes well for you which ever way you go! JImChuk