Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alright, So Here's A Serious Question!

Default Alright, So Here's A Serious Question!

Gentlemen,

1st, I highly value everyone's experience based opinions on this site, however, I would like some feed back from some of the guys who have sufficient time in many of the different series of KFs.

2nd, I flew in a KF-3 w/ a 912s today (if you noticed the "Been Fishing?" post) and the only thing that became an issue was the two "larger than life" guys in the cockpit. I will not divulge any information about Pete, but I weigh in at 210-215 depending on what I've eaten that day and am 6' 2" tall. The KF-3 was a bit tight for two full grown men to fly in, not that single pilot with one of the kiddos is not an option. I would, however, like to have some more shoulder room, if possible. Which KF would be best suited for a big guy like me? Are the Models 4-7 any larger in interior space, or more comfortable/better suited for larger pilots?

Sure, we could all stand to lose a few pounds to help with being under Max GW, but let's be realistic...that requires exercise. Ever read the bible? 1 Timothy 4:8 sais "For bodily exercise profiteth little; ...". That's my motto and life verse!!! Just kidding, I know it's a bit out of context, but you get my point!

Seriously though, please fill me in on your experiences! Your thoughts and comments will be taken seriously! Thanks in advance!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Default Re: Alright, So Here's A Serious Question!

I can relate with the little room ,.. I was 210 lbs 6 foot 50 inch chest plus minus 33 inch waist plus minus and stuffed in to my old model 2 with me was a 6'4" 235 lb,..we fit ,..but he had to exhale when I was inhaling and visa versa ha ha ,..I can imagine the model 3 was similar Mike,..76realty and I flew in his model 4,..Mike is a little shorter then me ,..but once in we fit OK,..I had a problem with bending my right leg to get it in the co pilot side but that's because of the extra metal that's in that leg and it doesn't bend well,..anyone with normal flex could climb in easily if they are my size or smaller ,..I am now 220 lbs 50 inch chest 34 waist ( only married 5 years now ,..gimmee a couple more years and I'll need to put an extra set of wings on anything I fly ha ha )

so between the model 2 and the 4 there is a definate difference,.. the model 3 I flew ,..I flew it alone and it was allot like the model 2 with exception to a 912 spinning the prop,..the model 2 had the 582 blue head

Chase

the seat cushions that came with my model IV are definately from a wider model as they are too wide at the top of the seat back and have to be poked together to get them to fit . they are the four part cushions , two backs and two seat bottoms not the all one piece style . i dont know where they came from but were previously used .
    it doesnt take too long to get the mounting and dismounting routine down . once you figure the sequence of which foot goes where and when, after awhile its second nature and you dont have to think about it and your in or out in a flash .
    glad you enjoyed the ride
    cap

Chris,
    Sounds like you had THE ride yesterday. Welcome to the dark side <g>.
    It's somewhat like the twilight zone, but instead of just twilight you will now think of your experience every waking minute. We are easy to spot with the goofy looking grin and glassed over eyes... wandering around airports looking for another fix. Good to hear you got clearance from the control tower to purchase one.

To answer your question, I can't say for the earlier models 1,2,& 3 as I don't know what they have for cabin width (I'm sure someone else can fill in for me). I do know that my IV has a stock width of 38" and in my opinion, that is quite narrow for a couple of men. A few of us have done what we call a wide-body mod for that reason and opened things up to 43" ( you can see this on my build site under Mods). I also have bubble doors which will add to the shoulder room. This is what you can do with an older model for width.

If you are up for a later model, they already have the 43" cabin width. Another thing you will appreciate with your height is the added leg room. From the V on up they added a few more inches as well as adjustable rudder pedals. As this is a big investment, don't take our words for it...go find someone with a newer one and get a ride. Only then will you be able to make an informed purchase.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas,
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I'm 6'2" 190 and my buddy is 6'4" 230, sitting in my 7 with bubble doors is cozy but not uncomfortable (this is only a ground test)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

A thought, the model 4 can have the wide fuse addaption put on, gives a couple more inches on each side, plus the bubble doors.

With that said, I'm one of the lucky guys. I weigh in at 168. Last winter though I weighed 198. EEek! What did I do. I cut out the sugar. You know the donuts, the pancakes, the cookies, candies. The only sugar I get now is what comes in the food, everything has it. I feel better. The planes fly better. I look great.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop