Hi Joe,

A couple thoughts.

1) I use 1.3 times the no flap indicated stall speed as well as 1.3 times the full flap stall speed for approach in each of those configurations and 5 mph less @ crossing the threshold. If I use a slip, I hold the pitch established at the stabilized approach speed and DO NOT refer to the ASI when applying the slip. If I am doing an obstacle clearance, I establish my 1.3 less 5 MPH, then apply the slip - so I already have my minus 5 when going over the obstacle.

2) Personally, I feel that if a person goes out and does spins in a spin certificated aircraft with an instructor, they will know all the reasons why doing an approach at one MPH above the stall might not be the best idea.

3) You may have considered this; but, it might pay to look at all the whats about controlling altitude and glide slope at low speeds. Each aircraft prop/engine combo will be different; however, a person could determine what their zero thrust RPM is at approach speeds. Some props, particularly if they are are set on the coarse side, might be still be providing thrust at the RPM used for approach. If the prop is creating thrust during approach, the slope will be more shallow; and, if the prop is not providing thrust or better yet if it is providing drag at the approach speed your glide will be steeper. Drag increases the descent slope and comes from flaps, the side of the airplane in a slip and also the prop if the RPM is low enough and prop pitch is fine enough.

While I can't afford one, I'd love to have an adjustable prop that could be put in a fine pitch on approach as that essentially makes drag somewhat like the flat side of a plywood disk on your nose. More than a few kitfoxers have set the ldle of their 912 low enough on the ground (1400 or so) so it will stay at 1800 on approach rather than creeping higher than necessary.