Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slip Speeds

Default Re: Slip Speeds

Dave said a lot of what I am thinking on this issue. 1.3 Vs0 is a slow as you should make your approaches safely. I suggest going up to altitude and set up the same configuration you have as you come over your obstacle, and get slow enough to stall it, many times until you can recognize the onset signs. Without VG’s you will get more notification buffeting. Note your attitude and indicated airspeed, cross check with ground speed by doing it in multiple directions. I recommend this because in a slip your airspeed indicator is unreliable so if you pay attention to your airspeed vs ground speed on approach you can determine your winds to some degree and then you can cross check your speeds. Now I am not going to tell you that I don’t go below 1.3, because I do, but I usually do it at the very end of the approach. I use 50 mph down to just shy of the flare. That gives you the energy to flare to stall without adding power, but you can flare to 45 add power and get a bit slower as you do a full stall landing. With my so called heavy Lycoming Kitfox 5 that will give me a consistent 200’ landing with no wind. Add some wind and it gets nice and short. The best thing you can do is every time you fly go up to altitude and do some stalls in landing configuration. Stall numbers one day will vary from another based on density altitude and aircraft loading, winds, turbulence, etc. So the more you practice the stalls the better you get at recognizing the onset and learn how to avoid pushing past that point.
    Great question. Fly safe, practice often.

Project Kitfox
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

This is very true with the VG’s, they absolutely work and lower your stall speeds but they also remove the onset signs. It was one of the first things I noticed about the VG’s, Stalls slower with little warning.

Project Kitfox
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Take it up to altitude and try. I have slowed mine down and slipped all the way until it stops flying. I get
    a really hard buffeting rattle in the turtledeck right before stall, and if you're trimmed to require holding
    some back pressure it flies right out of it with relaxing the controls.

I kick in slip very frequently for glidepath control, even on very short final. I think it's a natural thing
    in these airplanes to use.

I can't speak for other people's planes, but mine gives plenty of warning when it is unhappy while slow
    and cross controlled.

Actually my airplane unless you pull the nose up hard with power and intentionally stall it with a lot of
    attitude, never does anything very surprising.

The only time my airplane misbehaved is with 22 degrees flaperons, and since then I mechanically
    blocked the slot for maximum 11 degrees.

Jeff

Jeff, your plane sounds like it behaves similarly to mine when testing aggressive slips at altitude. As long as I approach stall in a less than super aggressive fashion, even in a full rudder deflection slip, the plane gives plenty of warning and barely drops a wing if at all. Reducing back pressure recovers and I can even stay un coordinated through the recovery right back into a slip. I haven't done any very aggressive pull ups but Im sure those might get more exciting. Ive done these with both full flaps and half flaps. I do notice with full flaps the break is more defined.

Hey Bryan

Project Kitfox[/ Maybe we should clarify where to use the 1.3 figure? Where does the approach start? Some guys tell me get down to approach speed turning a base others define approach as the final or short final. Personally I don't like to turn to final at 55 or even 60 as the kitfox slows down very quickly. I would also slip at a higher speed for this same reason. 50 or below on final is out of my comfort level until I am into the flare. I don't plan on winning any STOL competitions either.
    Anyway when on approach do you get to that 1.3 or below?

Joe - If your thinking of putting VG's on - Alex Di Sessi has an excellent youtube video on the subject of VG's.

He presents some pretty convincing information regarding placement of the VG's. You might find it interesting.

Regards
    Rodney

Bringing this thread back to life....

Wondering if others have had this phenomenon and/or could help me understand it better:
    I took my model V up to 5000' to practice deep slips. (My V is setup up like a model 7 with the larger elevator, speedster tail, and longer nose) My CG was at 11.2, weight at 1123#. I applied full flaps, full right rudder, and dropped the left wing.. all seemed like a normal slip. However after about 5 seconds in this configuration, the rudder pedal lightened up and the control stick lightened up, a control reversal I believe? The plane seemed to be getting deeper into the slip after this happened- Yawing further to the right, left wing dropping more. I immediately took it out of the slip which took some force on both the pedal and and stick.

I repeated the test again with the same results. Essentially I could let go of the controls and the plane would stay/deepen into the slip. I did not see how far it would continue to go into the slip like this.

Is this common on the kitfox? Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe my procedures are wrong? Thanks!
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson

T,

What was your airspeed before initiating the slip?

Assuming engine at Idle or did you have some power in?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I always do my slips with 1/2 flaps and have never had the issue you describe. Can go very aggressive with full rudder and drastically dropped opposite wing. For some reason have never tried with full flaps; guess I have never found the need.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Dave,

I entered the slip at 60 MPH (simulating high on final, slightly overspeed). Full flaps.

Jim, thats a good point. I have been landing with half flaps. I just figured I would try full flaps.
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson