Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slip Speeds

Default Re: Slip Speeds

Thanks for that Dave. It's helpful to understand the margin you are using above stall. If I understand correctly when you are over the numbers you are hovering about 5-8 mph above your stall. As I currently come over the numbers Im carrying about 10-12 mph above stall and likely why Im not sinking and floating. Agreed I don't want to get anywhere near 1 mph above with any height under me, and really thats why I started the post to gauge where everyone is at compared to my practice.

Joe,

In my response, I intentionally used 1.3 times Vs/Vso & minus 5 rather than my ASI indications because each of our airplanes is likely to have airspeed indicators that read a little different - and V speeds change with loading also.

Actually it works out to 10 MPH above stall in my case over the numbers; and, the procedures I indicated are out the window if conditions are windy/turbulent at all - I consider this is only for short field/obstacle precision work under ideal wind conditions.

In my early flights with our kitfox, I stayed with Vs/Vso + 5mph for final down to 10 feet above the runway then bled off the speed gradually - still landed way shorter than any aircraft I had ever flown before so it was a new era anyway.

For normal landings I currently stick with 1.3 times Vs/Vso on final down to the threshold.

FWIW - once I adjusted the idle speed - that made a noticeable difference with the same airspeeds.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I’ve been gone a long while but this seams as good a place to step in as any. Get VGs! At my strip 900’ with trees 400’ from the threshold. My preference is to come in over the trees with a lot of flaps and a full slip to ground effect. Pop it out and almost three point it. Dump the flaps full brakes and stick forward. When the tail starts to feel light you can let it down. Never once do you get a chance to look at airspeed. My advice is to go slip your plane in landing configuration keep slowing down listening and feeling what your plane is saying. In a slip mine starts a little hum then a slight high vibration feeling right before it breaks. A little stick forward and it goes away. Practice falling leaf. Cover your airspeed up for a month. Best thing I did was fly whole summer with an airspeed indicator covered. The absolute shortest landing with out an obstacle is to enter a wings almost level mush and arrest your decent (flair) with the engine. Hopes this helps.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Hi Nick,
    What part of northeast Md? Where do you hangar? I fly into Clairmont from time to time on my way down to see Ted Bryant at Cambridge.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Hi Nick,
    What part of northeast Md? Where do you hangar? I fly into Clairmont from time to time on my way down to see Ted Bryant at Cambridge.

Jim
    I have a farm strip 1 mile south of the mason dixon line. Nearest airport is 0p2 shoestring
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Shoestring is where I first learned to fly with Larry Johnson. My farm airfield is 0PA2 just north of Carlisle, Pa. N94 My field is 1200 long 100 foot wide turf. I am flying a Rans S7 at this time building the Kitfox SS7.
    Does your airfield have a # to locate?

Thanks for all the input guys. I did some practice this weekend (calm winds). 1.3 over stall speed in that configuration feels good and reducing to 5 mph below makes my decent rate feel much more like I remember at stick and rudder, these speeds are similar to what I had found was my best sink rate with no slip. For reference my speeds are: 1 notch of flaps stall=44, 1.3x=57, over the threshold = 52 --- full flaps stall = 39, 1.3x=51, over threshold = 45. These numbers give me plenty of flare authority but little to no float. This was similar to my experience at S&R, where they taught to fly right down to the runway, little to no round out and right into a flare/touchdown. This worked great for calm winds for me, but Im still hesitant to be so slow... Still lots to learn...

I may order up some VGs to see how they do.

Those speeds sound pretty similar to my 7. Although I had the 45 over the numbers bite me hard one calm day .I would rather have some head wind and below 50 is out of my comfort zone anymore without some power. good info

Personally I rarely seem to need a slip. Like S and R taught us fly the fox down to the approach as slow as you can then ease back on the stick to slow down to stall on the numbers . I usually don't below 60.

Joe I have found that VG'S help a ton, but can make it worse if you don't fly slower, as far as landing distance goes.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!