Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crack in tire

Default Re: Crack in tire

This is not going well. Day 4 and still we are negotiating how to replace the tires.
    Frist they didn’t think I bought the tires from them, I had to provide an invoice # even thought I gave them all my info., plus pictures.
    Second, they would only replace one, but I had to purchase another tire at $590, then they would ship it, and when I sent the old one back they would credit me back after they inspected it. I said no way, plus I wanted two replacements in case the other one went bad. The two tires have the same stamp number. What if the batch of tires they supplied me are defective.

Now they want me to unmount the old tires and send the old ones back. Once they receive a shipping confirmation they will ship the replacements. Once I get the new tires, I’m going to have to remount the new ones. But this is the “Middle ground” they stated, for not purchasing the replacement tires. We still haven’t spoken about receiving a credit for all the extra time and cost for unmounting/remounting the tires.
    The quote from the higher ups at Desser “Per our quality standards we do not make decisions on tires based on images. In order to make a decision we need the tire to be physically in our possession.”

Basically, they are saying they don’t believe I have a defective tire.
    I’m pretty fortunate the tire didn’t fail while operating the aircraft. Worst case scenario it could have come apart on landing with a ground loop, lost of control, or even flipping the aircraft.

Those tires, at the very least be considered a "blemish" I would think. Also would they pass a safety inspection (annual)? I don't think my A&P would sign off on them. I would think about getting an expert opinion from someone knows tires and maybe an A&P. I'd take lots of pictures and keep records. Then if Desser still won't replace them free of charge, I'd ask for a signed agreement that they agree to be liable if their tire failure causes an accident. (I know, fat chance!) I sure wouldn't have my family riding on car tire that look like that. They are a Team Kitfox sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by yoda View Post

Now they want me to unmount the old tires and send the old ones back. Once they receive a shipping confirmation they will ship the replacements. Once I get the new tires, I’m going to have to remount the new ones. But this is the “Middle ground” they stated, for not purchasing the replacement tires. We still haven’t spoken about receiving a credit for all the extra time and cost for unmounting/remounting the tires.
    If they pay/ reimburse you for return shipping, I would consider this a fair.

A bonus for your time and inconvenience is always nice, but so is accepting accidents/issues happen. If it happens again, I would demand full refund and be done with that tire &/ or Desser.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Well, I have plans to buy more Desser tires as I am pretty happy with how mine are working out at 140hrs. Im relieved by the fact that I live near Desser so I will be picking them up in person. Still a ways out though. Mine are wearing pretty good on 100% pavement.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Your missing the point. These tires are great and I was having a great time flying with them.
    Their clearly is a defect. Would the whole tire fail, most likely not, it’s 4 ply FAA approved. Would the first layer peel off? Might or might not, if it did would I be able to keep control of the aircraft? The crack is starting to progress down the side wall. These tires ate rated to 120mph and 1800lb each. The max ground roll for me is about 60mph.
    All I wanted was for Desser to step up. They have in a certain way, but lots of strings attached.
    I don’t have mounting equipment and I don’t live next to my airplane.

Excellent news, new set of tires are being sent and I have 30 days to return them.
    No credit card, no processing, no shipping defect one and waiting for new ones. Stress free.
    Thank you Desser.

Great to hear, but IMHO, it should have been a lot less stressful for you.

Rick

I received my brand new replacement tires from Desser with the same defect as I had with my original tires.
    At one point I’ll have 6 bush tires, Desser is overnighting some new replacements that have been inspected before shipping.
    My only concern is the warranty, what if these defects should arise again in the coming years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mounting the tire is not a big deal, you will have to do that regardless of how you get the replacement tires, of course you will need the proper tools to jack up the airplane and remove the wheel. You must have done this when you bought the tires. It is a shame that they will not ship you a new set before you have to remove the old set so that you are not AOG for very long.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox