Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV-1200 for Two

Default Kitfox IV-1200 for Two

Is Kitfox IV-1200 a good purchase if I plan on flying with myself and my wife about 50% of the time? My wife and I aren't particularly heavy (140 and 170 lbs), but based on what I read online, the useful load on these is about 420 lbs. That means that we would always have to fly with 18 gal or less to stay under gross. I know a lot of people fly them and clearly it's a two seater, so there must be plenty of people flying it with a partner. Do you just ignore the gross weight or sacrifice the range?

The IVs relative availability and the price point makes it attractive, but the useful load is a bit of a turn off. Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Kitfox IV-1200 for Two

Kitfox 4 classic is 1200 lb gross weight. With a 912 rotax, that plane may well weigh in at about 650 lbs, maybe even a bit less. You could also have a way heavier engine then the 912 and load it up with lots of stuff, and then your empty weight could be way higher then the 650 lbs. Point being, it all depends on how heavy the plane is. Also, burning about 4 gph like the 912 should do, you can probably carry more fuel then your bladder can handle even with 18 or 20 gallons on board. JImChuk

Let's do the math. Assuming you Kitfox 4 is 912 powered, 700 pounds would lean to the heavy side but it'll keep the math simple. So you and you wife's weight combined is 310 pounds and 25 gallons of gas comes to 150 pounds. That's 460 pounds total so you're still 40 pounds shy of 1200. I don't see a problem.

The particular airplane that I am looking at has a useful load of 418 lbs but let’s round and say 420. So the weight breakdown is:

1. Me: 170 lb on a good day
    2. Wife: 140 lb on a good day
    3. 26 gallons of fuel @ 6.16 lb/gallon = 160 lb

Total = 470 lb which puts you 50 pounds over gross. To say under gross you’d have to fly with ~ 18 gallons.

By your math, I’d have to get an airplane that’s about 50-60 lbs less weight.

Wonder what is making this KF 4 so Heavy?

My KF 4 weighs 689 (912 80hp) so that gives me a useful load of 511.

Does this plane have a subaru?

I'm not sure. It's a 80 hp 912. I'm not familiar with a IV, so I am not sure what to expect on the useful load. I figured what it had was average. I can always gut it a little bit to shed some weight. The inventory is fairly low on Kitfoxes, so what you see is what you get.

Anybody other than the airplane need to lose some weight?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

We just had a newborn so losing weight would probably cost us more money than the plane

It's hard for me to believe that a model 4 with a 912ul could be that heavy. I'd find an A&P with some certified scales that weigh all three points at once, make sure to level it correctly, drain all the gas and weigh it again. Speedster's are heavier but not that much heavier. If it really is that heavy I'd start pulling unnecessary stuff out. One of my buddy's recently bought a model 4 with a tape deck. You said you were unfamiliar with the model 4. In my opinion it's the jewel of Kitfox line. Maybe not quite as refined as the later models but a great performer with its lighter weight. I believe a model 4 with a 912ul and the right prop is every bit the equal, performance wise, to a 100hp model 5 thru 7, at half the price on the used market. Put it on a diet if it really is that heavy and enjoy it. I still have my doubts.

Why would a speedster be heavier? They have shorter wings, and a few light plywood ribs in the tail surfaces but I would think they could/should be lighter than a long wing. Am I missing something?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)