Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fitting Cowling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Fitting Cowling

Whoops, I meant to say "vise grips". I have them ground down but maybe should check to see that the faces are completely flush. Haven't figured out how to use the vise grips on the oil door.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Yea the oil door was a little more tricky. I didn't use the vise grips on the oil door. I used two punches and a hammer. You just need something solid pressing against the rivet and on the other side hit it with a punch and a hammer. Best with two people but I was able to do it by myself. Basically I just watched some videos on how a solid rivet is set and tried to come up with something similar. I used a piece of scrap fiberglass and countersink and practice setting some flush solid rivets. Then I tried the oil door and they came out good. The cam locs I had a few rivets bend to the side slightly but as long as you squeeze them good they will not go anywhere. When I set the camlocs in the boot cowl that attach to the footwell I just used pull rivets there.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

You can install your Camlocs and nut plates with 3/32" pulled rivets also. Additionally, if you dimple all of the material that a Camloc or nut plate are installed on, you have to have countersunk or dimpled mounting ears on them.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime