Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Firewall and Starter Clearance Issue

Default Firewall and Starter Clearance Issue

Got a problem I'm trying to work through and see if you guys can come up with any good ideas. I'm having problem creating enough space for my starter through model IV firewall. I've put the firewall and engine in place to check the clearance and using a piece of paper for the box I will be creating to open up the area for the starter. I still need more room, but I'm already running out of material to rivet my corner piece on to. I just had a thought if maybe I can just cut those tabs off my starter? Why are they there?
    IMG-1984.jpgIMG-1985.jpgIMG-1985.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Default Re: Firewall and Starter Clearance Issue

Shawn... I think you can cut those off if you want. They do make a good heavy wire ground connection point, possibly branching from there up to another point on the engine, but they're not necessary for the operation of the starter. Keep in mind possible clearance if you have to remove the starter also... it's nice if you don't have to move the engine first. I didn't build a IV, and the guys that have can probably offer better advice than I.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I don't know anything about building an IV but can support John. I happened to ask that very question to the tech guru at Lockwood yesterday and his words matched John.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I had to cut the heavy duty starter tabs in order for my brand new engine to fit on my Outback when I swapped engines, the old engine had the smaller standard black starter . Both are 912 uls. Its a wierd feeling cutting pieces off a brand new engine. Lots of people have had to cut the tabs off the heavy duty starter, no worries.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thanks for the info! Maybe I can cut some more things off to save weight! Hahah.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic