Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: muffler exhaust pipe length

Default muffler exhaust pipe length

What is the length of the muffler "stinger" exhaust pipe on the SS7 Instructions just say cut at a 45deg but does not say how far below the cowl. I assume there could be some affect if the pipe is to long?

Thanks,

Default Re: muffler exhaust pipe length

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    What is the length of the muffler "stinger" exhaust pipe on the SS7 Instructions just say cut at a 45deg but does not say how far below the cowl. I assume there could be some affect if the pipe is to long?

Thanks,
    I'm not sure of the exact length, Jim, but I cut mine off and added a piece with a bend in it, and tried to maintain approximately the same distance down from the cowl as the original was (as received from Kitfox). I did that mostly just because I liked the look a little better. I think that some builders leave it as it comes, with most probably putting an angled cut on the end without really shortening it much, if any. If you get too close to the belly you'll have exhaust impinging on it. I get just a very minor amount of residue that wipes right off.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thank's John,
    I might just do the 45deg angle cut, I was unsure about the overall length. On another subject, I have the cowl installed and have drilled the side of the cowl as noted in the manual of a spacing 5.5 inches from back to front. I have this in place with clecos and I am getting a bulge on the top cowl between the attached areas along the seam, any suggestions to this? My last plane had a straighter profile from front to back and I riveted an L channel along the top of the bottom cowl to keep it in alignment. This Kitfox cowl has a bit of a curved profile from the front to the rear so I'm not sure I can do the same with it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thank you for the photos of the stinger pipe. As for the cowl fit, I'm getting there and will post photos soon.