Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model IV-1200 factory tube landing gear alignment discussion

Default Re: Model IV-1200 factory tube landing gear alignment discussion

Good thinking. I wonder if I would have been so intuitive if I had been aware of the axle bending history. I probably tweaked mine in 1996 or 7.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    To all, my update:

This then required the Lowell Fitt brake assembly realignment procedure with a couple washers.

The wheel rotates free and aligned.

Again, thank you everyone!

Care to share this "Lowell Fits brake assembly realignment procedure" ?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Care to share this "Lowell Fits brake assembly realignment procedure" ?
    4Hummer.... it is simply placing a regular 960 washer between the landing gear's brake attachment plate, and the brake caliper plate at the two places that either align the brake plate to a corrected toe in or toe out. For me, I placed a washer at the two forward points to align for my bent rearward axle that corrected my toe in condition.20200209_154931.jpg

20200208_132559.jpg
    I apologize for my slow response! I was not able to get the REALLY GOOD photos with either my camera or my phone!
    Last edited by GWright6970; 02-09-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Hey Everybody-

Thanks to this thread I have been able to make my brand-new Kitfox behave correctly. It is a project dating back to 1993 with bungee gear, and I obtained the Airworthiness Certificate on Jan 6 (of all days). I got my TW endorsement in April, but still have no Kitfox time. During a number of high-speed taxi tests on the stock bungee gear, with tailwheel off the ground, it was an absolute BEAST to control and keep anywhere near the centerline. I was so afraid of it I thought I could never fly it and was considering selling.

My intuition took over, and I found this thread regarding wheel alignment. Upon checking, I discovered my pilot-side wheel was toed-in more than 2 deg. It was visibly apparent just looking at it without measuring devices. After considerable hand-wringing, I figured there was nothing to lose by attempting the cheater-bar method.

Using a beefed-up multiple layered bar consisting of plastic over the axle to protect the threads, 4' steel bar over the axle, and 7' aluminum alloy over the steel, I began exerting MAXIMUM force on the gear leg to remove the toe-in. After several attempts which ended with losing foot traction on the cement floor, I got serious and began bracing myself against other things I could find to stack up. Even with the most pressure I could exert, it would always spring back to the original position. With each try, I was replacing the wheel and seating the bearings just enough to get an accurate reading.

Then I began to get serious, and was able to feel a little bit of "give" in the landing gear weldment. Upon reassembly, I discovered that I was half the distance to the goal. I then gave it another back-busting heave, and felt it give again. Upon checking, it was aligned at nearly zero toe-in.

I took it to the airport, and did some high-speed taxi runs. The difference was literally unbelievable. It was a different aircraft. I spent 1.5 hrs. doing high-speed taxi runs along both taxiways, tailwheel in the air, getting to liftoff speeds while holding it on the ground. I suddenly feel that I can definitely fly this aircraft.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to these forums, it is an amazing resource for all with problems with, of all things: EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT.
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Scot, glad it worked out. I went through the same process on my first Kitfox, a model 3, back in 1999. Got right up to putting the bar on the axel to “adjust” it and stopped. Just couldn’t do it. Figured I’d really mess it up worse. Put a Grove gear on and never looked back. Made an airplane out of it immediately. Glad you went for it with great results. So many incredible experienced members on TeamKitfox.com. They continually make me and my moderators proud to keep it running. Enjoy your “new” Kitfox.
    Thanks for the update too. It could be very beneficial to others.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

To "close the loop" the aircraft lands and takes off tracking beautifully. No strangeness...

Lowell Fitt and Joey Meyers dropped by my hangar today to discuss our aircraft builds. I thanked Lowell again for his procedure to align the calipers with the disc if you have to bend an axle to align your gear.

I pointed out to Lowell that while the washers really helped, the alignment was not perfect. After about 6 landings and applying the brakes to cure the pads, "The pads" wore themselves into compliance! No problems.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL