Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage covering

Default Fuselage covering

Does anyone know if the fuselage can be covered prior to fitting the wings? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Default Re: Fuselage covering

Yes it could be. There is no fabric covering up where the wings attach. I personally wouldn't do it though because there is too much chance of accidental fabric damage. Wait until last to minimize danger to the final appearance.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I support Jim's recommendation. Not knowing what degree of "wait" Jim had in mind, I'd take it a step further by recommending a consideration of doing everything that goes into or attaches to the fuselage before covering (with the exception maybe of putting the brake lines into the gear). Yes, that means taking taking most of the items you just spent hours installing off but that can be done in a few hours and you will be real good at it by then. Remember, it isn't as simple as just bolting items on. There is a lot of reiterative measuring, cutting, fitting that must happen to reach the end. The benefit is as Jim says: no dirt, scratches, poked holes, rips, etc. AND - much better access to everything. You need not ask how I know these things but the patched hole in my fuselage (bottom) will not be visible to the casual observer.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the fuselage kit today and I was hoping to be able to cover the fuselage after I place the order for the wing kit. I’m on a tight budget so I’m ordering individual kits as I can afford them. I figured the covering process would keep me busy while I wait on the wing kit to arrive.
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Before you cover the fuselage it's best practice to install everything you can, which means you need to have chosen you engine, avionics and all your options. It is a royal pain to be adding in components, wiring, other accessories, etc. after the fabric is on. Installing these later could lead to damaging the fabric.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016