Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat vs adjustable oil cooler blocking

Default Re: Oil thermostat vs adjustable oil cooler blocking

Seems like like those running the oil thermostats seem to work good at keeping the oil where it needs to be. Why do most not run the oil thermostats? Wondering if you ran a oil thermostat for the coolant also because they allow continued circulation?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have had the oil thermostat for 7 years and all it seems to do is speed up the winter warm-up time somewhat. It seems to do nothing for the winter over-cooling problem, so I still need to block of part of the cooler face as the seasons change. Here is how I do it to make it a little quicker and easier:

Several years ago I got tired of messing with aluminum tape on my
    oilcooler as the seasons changed and came up with a much better, easier way to do it-see the sketch below. I don't even need to remove the lower cowl; I can slip my hand in thru the lower air inlet and add or remove blocking strips as needed. I made 4 of the 1" aluminum blocking strips (the most I ever need here in Portland area is two of them); I even made a couple of 1/2" strips to fine tune it if needed. The side gripping channels are pinched down just tight enough to hold the strips in place but allow easy installation/removal. I just slip them in from the top of the channels and push the to the bottom, as many as required-takes less than 5 minutes. All material is thin approximately 0.012" aluminum.

This system has been working great for several years, but still requires adjustment as the seasons change. I am seriously thing about the ultimate solution-adjustable louvers controlled from the cockpit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. I currently are doing something similar to what you are doing. I was contemplating on putting in an oil thermostat, but sounds like I will still be covering up the oil cooler. We currently have to cover the entire oil cooler to get to temp in the winter and the coolant is still cool. 130f. In the summer I was running half of my oil cooler covered. Just trying to figure out solution that does not need so much tinkering.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Well I have contemplated putting in an oil thermostat and a coolant thermostat but I have decided I am going to make a shutter. We have plenty of cooling in the summer. Warmest temps I only uncovered half of my oil cooler so I think a shutter would be fine with it covering up a large percentage of the cooler when its fully open. Someone gave us a shutter that goes on a 0-360 oil cooler, but it needs to be about double the width. I think its made by https://antisplataero.com/products/o...er-air-shutter Right now I think its easy enough for me to draw it up in solid works and find someone to cut it out for us. Anyone else know how to use solidwork in case I get stuck?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Anyone else know how to use solidwork in case I get stuck?
    There's lots of free SolidWorks help available on the EAA forum, here.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Yup SW is what I do. Happy to help if you get stuck.

0574543F-78E4-40DA-A6BF-C0BBB64A95C1.jpg7E52D6EF-7728-468F-98C1-56D8C756C2D8.jpegEFB38EC9-4238-4D62-BFC6-518B67C63706.jpeg937A87BE-78A1-4EA2-871F-2766B411B1D5.jpegA7BCA58A-6693-48B6-B38D-DDEE2DE43435.jpeg
    When building Frontier Fox I decided to use a shutter instead of an oil thermostat. In pic one notice that the oil cooler brackets were left longer and bent 90 degrees to accommodate a channel for the slats to be mounted on. Pic two shows one of slats attached to a stainless rod. It is hysoled and riveted. Pic three shows everything assembled and in the open position. Note the bushings that the rods pass through. Pic four shows the shutters closed. The control cable has a stop on it to prevent the rack from going over center. Pic five shows the control knob. In for open, out for closed. Sorry about the sideways pictures, maybe someone can fix that.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Nice! That is some handy fab work. I like how it has less restrictions when open.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fox View Post
    Sorry about the sideways pictures, maybe someone can fix that.
    I've found that many of the photos I take with my iPhone upload to the forum sideways, and no amount of rotating them from the Windows context menu will prevent it. The only solution I've found is to open the picture in an image editing program (doesn't seem to matter which one), then save it again. Once I do that, it uploads in the correct orientation.

Don't get me started on vBulletin forums' handling of images...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Joe's cooler louver fab work is top notch! I have seen it in person.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS