Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil thermostat vs adjustable oil cooler blocking

Default Oil thermostat vs adjustable oil cooler blocking

We’ve had some really cold temps (for CHARLESTON) lately, 24-30 Degrees F at altitude. I have quite a bit of my oil cooler blocked off and rather than keep chasing the temps with aluminum tape I’m considering other solutions. At cruise I’m seeing 170-185 degrees for the oil temp and sometimes as low as 130s for coolant temps. A note that is with my cabin heater at full blast. I want to hear everyone’s experience with adding an oil cooler. Also how does this compare to adding adjustable louvers that block the oil cooler? Are both needed?

is a coolant thermostat ever used?

Default Re: Oil thermostat vs adjustable oil cooler blocking

I use a thermostat on both oil and coolant, Engine warms up pretty quickly and temps remain quite stable. Have no experience with louvers so can't comment on that.
    5473.jpg
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

What thermostats do you use and what temp do they hold the fluids at?

Timely topic: I have been considering a similar solution to cold weather flying and engine temps. I fly year-round in the Colorado high country and use the blockage method. Air temps are often in the single digits in the valley and inverted at altitude, or vise versa. Makes it very difficult to maintain consistent, and proper, oil temps and CHTs.

Very curious what type of thermostats are working for both oil and coolant. Thanks in advance for any details willing to share.
    Kitfox Sport TW
    Colorado

A note of caution, the 912 is a full flow system and most water coolant thermostats stop this flow. A bypass type allows flow at all times. I have is used a bypass type on a 4 for two years and have substantially reduced warmup times. I also don't run an oil cooler but use a heat exchanger, the coolant keeps my oil temp stable. This is a bit complex and I wonder at times if I should just have added radiator louvres which would also save weight but require a bit more pilot input to control?

Several years ago I got tired of messing with aluminum tape on my oil cooler as the seasons changed and came up with a much better, easier way to do it-see the sketch below. I don't even need to remove the lower cowl; I can slip my hand in thru the lower air inlet and add or remove blocking strips as needed. I made 4 of the 1" aluminum blocking strips (the most I ever need here in Portland area is two of them); I even made a couple of 1/2" strips to fine tune it if needed. The side gripping channels are pinched down just tight enough to hold the strips in place but allow easy installation/removal. I just slip them in from the top of the channels and push the to the bottom, as many as required-takes less than 5 minutes. All material is thin approximately 0.012" aluminum.

This system has been working great for several years, but still requires adjustment as the seasons change. I am seriously thing about the ultimate solution-adjustable louvers controlled from the cockpit.
    Cooler Strips.jpg
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Don't know the make of the oil thermostat but I believe it is the one KF sells. The coolant unit in the picture is a Thermo-Bob. Oil temp runs about 185 (plus or minus 2) and CHT (hotter) sits at 202-204, very steady at cruise.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    A note of caution, the 912 is a full flow system and most water coolant thermostats stop this flow. A bypass type allows flow at all times. I have is used a bypass type on a 4 for two years and have substantially reduced warmup times. I also don't run an oil cooler but use a heat exchanger, the coolant keeps my oil temp stable. This is a bit complex and I wonder at times if I should just have added radiator louvres which would also save weight but require a bit more pilot input to control?
    I like the heat exchanger idea. The new Ford diesel trucks run oil/water or air/water heat exchangers, the latter for the turbo intercooler.

FWIW the Thermo-Bob has a built in bypass to accommodate the Rotax (and other similar cooling systems)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Don't know the make of the oil thermostat but I believe it is the one KF sells. The coolant unit in the picture is a Thermo-Bob. Oil temp runs about 185 (plus or minus 2) and CHT (hotter) sits at 202-204, very steady at cruise.
    Thank you. I like that set up
    Kitfox Sport TW
    Colorado