Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant about BasicMed

Default Rant about BasicMed

This is a rant, so feel free to skip reading, or indulge in a bit of complaining ...

So I have to get my annual physical/wellness with my primary care physician, which
    annoying as it is I always do. My physician is also an Aviation Medical Examiner so every
    other year I typically get my medical at the same time. However he always splits it into
    a two part physical. First part insurance covered, second part FAA which I fork over some
    money out of pocket for.

This year I thought, well I'm going to take advantage of BasicMed! So I go, get my physical
    and at the end of it I say - here's my BasicMed form I'm sure you've heard of these, can you
    sign it?

The answer - Nope. If you want an FAA, schedule that and we'll dot it, but my insurance
    company won't let me do BasicMed sign off's on a regular physical. He then elaborates on
    why most likely I won't find anybody willing to do a BasicMed sign off.

I then suggest, well can we do he rest of the stuff for an FAA, since I'm already done, and
    you already checked everything? Nope - You have to schedule that ahead of time ... Can't
    do it without an appointment.

So now I have to not only get an FAA, which will be for sure a different doctor, but likely
    will be getting a new Primary Care Physician because I'm too angry to go back!

Okay, Rant complete - I feel better.

Jeff

Default Re: Rant about BasicMed

I am not taking your experience as a "rant." It will be very interesting to see if others are also experiencing the same type of pushback.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

He's fed you a line of BS. I've had no issue finding a doctor to sign off my Basic Med.

Get a new doctor. I wouldn't trust him to prescribe an aspirin for a headache.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

It's not a Basic Med Issue... It is an uncooperative doctor issue. I had no problem with my doctor getting the necessary physical for Basic Med.

Ralph

I believe AOPA has a list of doctors who participate in the FAA Basic Med program.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

My Doctor has no problem with Basic Med. Especially when I told him the form didn't go to the FAA. That I'm required to keep it in my log book. As a side note I asked him what a digital rectal exam had to do with my qualification to fly. He said he didn't know but "you have a butt hole, we are not going there" CHECK!! Thank you, thank you!!
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I was very happy with mine. The AME was at an airport(cda) and I flew there parked behind his hangar, went in, did the exam, showed him my plane, got in the airplane and left. He did try to convince me to do a class 3 instead, he said I had no problem with getting one. I said I didn't need one, that's when he said I wouldn't be able to go up into Canada. I said, I have no plans to do that. I said also I can do basic med and not have to do it again for 4 years versus 2.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

It's both actually, it's a flawed program in that the liability issue for a non-AME's is unclear, so you end up where
    the physician in our sue-happy world is reluctant to sign off unless he/she feels it is low risk. It's my (ex) Physician's
    issue, since he is an AME, and is simply trying to make money off me.

Anyway I'll just go to an AME, and pay for a 3rd class, and have him sign me off for BasicMed so I get the 4 years

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    It's not a Basic Med Issue... It is an uncooperative doctor issue. I had no problem with my doctor getting the necessary physical for Basic Med.

Ralph

Interesting discussion.

Coincidentally, Last week our local aviation group had an AME over to discuss basic med and conventional aeromedical examinations (I, II and III). Additionally, he does both basic med and conventional aeromedical examinations, sometimes both for the same person for overlapping time periods and the pilot determines which authority he intends to fly under depending on his mission.

My guess is that most Drs who perform a basic med exam are not AMEs.

The issue of some Drs choosing not to process a Basic Med application because of "insurance" was essentially debunked by the presenter. This particular AME gets around a lot and is pretty much aware of what goes on in our world. He said there are basically three categories of "reasons" for a Dr choking on basic med. The first is that the DR is totally unfamiliar with it and nobody has taken the time to point out how it works. The second is the Dr isn't sure so may claim that "insurance" won't cover him/her as an easy out. The third is where the Dr has actually called up their insurance carrier and the carrier's representative says no from a point of ignorance - meaning they didn't read the damn policy. The presenter said that he is not aware of any case where insurance carrier and Dr actually checked their policy in detail to find out if yes or no - they have always found that the answer is no problem and the insurance does cover them. If a person understands the insurance a Dr carries is for malpractice, and, as long as the Dr does not commit an act of malpractice he/she is covered - period.

On a personal note, I have always gone with a class III - my AME retired about the same time my cert was up and Basic Med was available. My PCP did the basic med exam at the time of my annual physical; however, I took the time and planned ahead to provide him with the links to both FAA and AOPA before and I believe that makes all the difference in the world. Actually, I am of the opinion that my fitness for flight is better served through the basic med route since my PCP already knows me well, and, my flight status is a considered part of my normal annual physical anyway.

Back to the presenter at our aviation group - he did say that it's hard to think there is not a conflict of some sort for the FAA because a lot of work for AMEs shifts away from them; and, Oklahoma probably has less to do because there is less applications to process and fewer followups. BTW - with less to do, it might be worth anticipating OK has the time to look into things they have not had the time for in the past.

AOPA says that there are over 50,000 pilots on basic med now which has to have had an effect on the amount of work the FAA is processing.

I don't think FAA was ever in favor of basic med; and, I think it is fair to assume that as the assessment period comes up for the program, the agency might be looking for reasons to dis the program - It behooves us all to accept our responsibilities under the Basic Med Program to assure that it does work.

For Jeff, sorry for the kerfuffle you encountered - I and many other pilots have had smooth sailing with Basic Med; and, I think your experience relates to the provider's issues as Av8r3400 indicated. Most Drs are good; but, like any other profession, there are a few clinkers out there.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Another story in hopes that it helps someone else. A little over a year ago, at my annual physical, I asked my PCP if he was aware of the program and if he would participate when I showed up for my next physical. He had only heard a mention of the program but was willing to look into it so I left him the paperwork you can print off of the AOPA website. Move the calendar one year forward - I showed up for my physical with the paperwork filled out except for the check off boxes and his signature and all went well.