Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine/Propeller Combination S7 sti?

Default Re: Engine/Propeller Combination S7 sti?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    How many rpm will you have to spin it to?

Reason I'm asking (totally different plane and application) a Q200 uses a IO-200 and they claim it's a continuous 90 hp engine. It gets hot on climb out they claim so it's like a 5 minute max 100 hp.

Then I swear, every guy who has one claims 120-125 hp as they upped the compression from 7:1 to 9:1 and they all think it's an instant 20 hp?

The pmag I am guessing are the electronic mag's that require a constant power source?
    bumping compression that much makes a huge difference, plus with digital ignition you can add or remove timing which again helps a ton. standard 0-200 exhaust is terrible. power pulses are constantly fighting back against the next pulse of exhaust exiting the adjoining cyl. There is no need to spin it fast as the power increase comes from the increase of downforce from the higher compression/timing/free flowing exhaust. A 20 hp increase is easy to attain by just increasing efficiency. Remember, the mods have to compliment themselves, smoother more free air coming in, more compression to utilize said air, and a better way out.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post

The pmag I am guessing are the electronic mag's that require a constant power source?

P-mags do require a power source, but if that is lost they are self-powered (above a certain minimum rpm - I think around 800).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime