Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: S7 Speedster project in Belgium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: S7 Speedster project in Belgium

Given that the collar is designed to be crushed, can you put it in a press or something or just smash it down flush with the bushing?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Another picture before the heatshrink went on. The crimping itself is OK dimension wise,but I'm concerned if the distance between the sleeve and the bushing isn't to small, causing the cable to be bent into a too tight angle. According to nicopress there should be 1 cable diameter between the bushing and the sleeve. So I'll go for the safe side and do them again. I should have enough cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tombrackx; 02-28-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Tom - congrats on the kit and getting started.

As you have probably noted, the sleeve grows a bit during crimping. I experienced the same concern you have so I practiced a bit before doing the final squeeze on the "real thing" and found a drill bit that could be used as a "measuring device" to determine a good gap between the sleeve and bushing before crimping. I took notes that are on my build site (11/13/2019 - http://www.mykitlog.com/lowandslow/). I don't know how easy it is to get to that date but if you have the inclination take a look. The words that go with the pictures are: "I found that by making the first (middle) crimp in the nicopress sleeve when the bushing is held a #13 drill bit in distance from the fitting the crimp comes out just fine (see picture) assuming the 2nd crimp is the one away from the bushing and the last crimp closest to the bushing. A little experimenting showed that inserting a #25 drill bit in the "V" formed by the cable as it went into the fitting and then pulling the cable tight to press the three (nico, drill bit and bushing) tightly together before crimping worked just as well."

Hope this helps.