Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

Default Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

Hey all, mulling over Engines for my S7 STi that arrives in March. Ive landed on an O-200a for specific reasons. Those being 1: up here in AK there is little to no support for Rotax, 2: I need to be able to hand prop the plane in the event of a dead battery, 3: Price. This will be a VERY simple overall build Dynon HDX suite/Ipad with WAAS antenna. That's it. Light weight is the key as I need more room for Moose and Caribou. Most likely an Airmaster IFA prop.

My PLAN is a high comp 200 with tuned exhaust, and some sort of Ignition.

So here are my questions:
    1: Battery location, did you move it aft?
    2: What is your empty weight
    3: VX/VY speeds?
    4: basically are you happy with it?

Any other info you have would be fantastic like what is included in the FWF kit, or really anything helpful.

*For the Record* I am not a Rotax hater, Im actually considering a 914. 200 is Primary choice. 165 HP MoGas Titan is a close second.

Thanks all!

Default Re: Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

Must be a few O-200’s flying? Maverick had one some years back on a model 5 that as I recall flew pretty well.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Must be a few O-200’s flying? Maverick had one some years back on a model 5 that as I recall flew pretty well.
    I feel like a leper. HAHA

I've been flying behind a stock low compression o200a in my 7ss for 3 years. I like it. I'm guessing it's like anything else, if you dont have a side by side comparison with a lighter one, you have nothing to complain about.
    Wings are straight, not swept. Battery is odyssey 680 behind the seat. I think balance is perfect. Tail weight 58 lbs. Empty weight is 900 lbs, but I have traditional 6 pack steam gauges and custom made seats. My wife and I are 300 lbs combined. Us, full fuel, full baggage puts us just under gross of 1550. Cruise 103mph. Climb full gross 600 ft/min on 85° day at near sea level. I have to say that 15-20 more hp would be nice. Sorry for late responce.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I did have an Continental 0-200-A normally aspirated with Slick mags. I did put the battery in the tail. The plane flew very well but the empty weight was around 800#s. Steve and I flew together allot and he always got up faster, climbed faster, flew faster, etc. DesertFox4's KitFox was a IV with a long wing and a 912 ULS so his empty weight was lower. I also used the long wing. I used a ground adjustable 70" IvoProp. Cruise was 115mph with max 125 with the prop tuned to 2200 RPM. I changed the tune to 2350 RPM and slowed to 115 max and 105 cruise which improved the climb, shortened take off speed and maxed the RPM at 2700 where I wanted it. I used mogas when I could get it but in Phoenix back then it was difficult to find so I used avgas most always. It didn't seem to matter so far as performance.

Having spent time in Alaska, I would go for the setup you described. When I talked with Alaska pilots regarding the use of Rotax engines, nearly all of them said they would not use the Rotax for the same reasons you mentioned. There is more support for the traditional engines than for the Rotax.

Although I am going to use a 912uls in this build I would prefer the 0-200 tricked out like you describe. I do like the reliability, lack of maintenance issues, and simplicity of the 0-200.

Maverick

Forgot to mention that KF was a V with the 1550 spars.
    Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I've been flying behind a stock low compression o200a in my 7ss for 3 years. I like it. I'm guessing it's like anything else, if you dont have a side by side comparison with a lighter one, you have nothing to complain about.
    Wings are straight, not swept. Battery is odyssey 680 behind the seat. I think balance is perfect. Tail weight 58 lbs. Empty weight is 900 lbs, but I have traditional 6 pack steam gauges and custom made seats. My wife and I are 300 lbs combined. Us, full fuel, full baggage puts us just under gross of 1550. Cruise 103mph. Climb full gross 600 ft/min on 85° day at near sea level. I have to say that 15-20 more hp would be nice. Sorry for late responce.
    Ken
    Well that's good news. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the go fast parts will give me a little edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I did have an Continental 0-200-A normally aspirated with Slick mags. I did put the battery in the tail. The plane flew very well but the empty weight was around 800#s...Maverick
    yeah I think in my few years of flying up here Ive seen maybe 4 Rotax equipped birds. I appreciate all your input. While waiting for the 10 months for my kit to arrive Ive read every single thread on this website in prep and put ALOT of thought into my engine setup. Bang for buck and weight wise I keep coming back to a 200. Just curious to see what sort of numbers to expect.

I'm just a mere lower-49r aircraft owner but have question: Wouldn't having a "high comp" O-200 be a disadvantage to you if you needed to use low octane auto gas while in remote areas?

High comp in this case is relative. Were talking 8:1. Nothing crazy like the Reno racers.