Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

Default Re: Lets talk 0-200's (those running them please inquire within)

My concern would be weight. Same reason that I don't know of any TITAN flying STI'S as they are heavy. Looks like the 200 is 190lbs. Thats almost 50 pounds heavier than the 912. STI wing is quite a bit heavier than the 7ss. I think its around 40lbs heavier. 29" bush tires and monster gear and if your are adding a airmaster and doing poly fiber you will be getting close to 1000lbs.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yeah I suspect Ill be in the 930-950 range. From what im tracking and have seen the 915/O-200 are about the same weight. obviously power is less on the 200. By chance do you know what your Edge setup wet weighed in at? I've heard the 915 has around 70lbs on the 912 ULS. So I think throwing some go fast goodies at it I should have a pretty solid performer. Keep in mind my options are limited up here. If I drop a jug somewhere in BFE Alaska Id MUCH rather try and allocate a Continental cyl vs Rotax. There is just zero support here. Would I LOVE your setup or a fancy Rotax? You bet. I just have to be smart about it.
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 01-21-2020 at 10:20 AM.

I wish we would have weighed them before we installed them, but at the time we did not have the intercooler and intake. I think I recall Jason saying they are slightly lighter than a 914? (4lbs maybe) of course that would be lost on the intercooler. My best guess is they are close to the same weight as a 914.

This is the first aircraft I have every flown with a rotax in it. I always thought the rotax where not that great. Now, I am no longer a rotax hater. I am new to the Rotax so maybe others can chime in. Generally a stock 912 if its going to have an issue, it does right at first. If not they will run forever. So far I have been impressed and I am far from stock. They don't burn oil and run so much smoother than traditional engines. Good thing is I don't think the rotax drops jugs like a traditional aircraft engine sometimes does. They just put holes in the side of cases That seems to only be happening to the big bores though. My point is they are very reliable engines. Stick and rudder would be a good resource as they run their training planes pretty hard.

I know your concerned about hand propping because of dead battery. Now days just carry a small jumper battery that weighs hardly anything. I understand if its not in the budget, but if it is possible the rotax would be one to take a hard look at because of its power to weight ratio. Just not sure what one would be best in your part of the country.

Looks like your doing your home-work so I am sure your aircraft is going to turn out great!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I wish we would have weighed them before we installed them, but at the time we did not have the intercooler and intake. I think I recall Jason saying they are slightly lighter than a 914? (4lbs maybe) of course that would be lost on the intercooler. My best guess is they are close to the same weight as a 914.

This is the first aircraft I have every flown with a rotax in it. I always thought the rotax where not that great. Now, I am no longer a rotax hater. I am new to the Rotax so maybe others can chime in. Generally a stock 912 if its going to have an issue, it does right at first. If not they will run forever. So far I have been impressed and I am far from stock. They don't burn oil and run so much smoother than traditional engines. Good thing is I don't think the rotax drops jugs like a traditional aircraft engine sometimes does. They just put holes in the side of cases That seems to only be happening to the big bores though. My point is they are very reliable engines. Stick and rudder would be a good resource as they run their training planes pretty hard.

I know your concerned about hand propping because of dead battery. Now days just carry a small jumper battery that weighs hardly anything. I understand if its not in the budget, but if it is possible the rotax would be one to take a hard look at because of its power to weight ratio. Just not sure what one would be best in your part of the country.

Looks like your doing your home-work so I am sure your aircraft is going to turn out great!
    Ill be perfectly honest when I say I think the Rotax Cowl looks way better. This is the hardest decision Ive ever had to make! Thanks for your help btw.

Anytime! Another thing to be figuring out is how to stay warm up there! I put larger heater fans that move twice as much air. It helps but when its below 10f it gets pretty chilly. Pretty drafty aircraft. Most of the cold air is coming from the tail. I have been contemplating sealing up the tail better.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

DCD3E07E-9A21-4C65-914B-C981D8300FFD.jpg
    Yeah I hear ya on the open back drafty-ness. This tin can is an ice box in the winter! Haha. We actually hang the cowl blanket behind the seats to retain heat.
    (first time posting a picture, hope it works)

You picture worked and looks good! Yeah I have considered putting foam back at the tail section and just had control rod pass through. This is not to keep heat in but to keep wind from blowing up into the cockpit.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have a 7SS with an O-200 that I'm very pleased with. It has high compression pistons, dual electronic ignition, throttle body injection with lightweight starter and alternator. I'm using a Whirlwind prop. I am very pleased with this setup. Starts like a car and runs very smooth. The main reason that I used the O-200 is I had one setting on a stand that was low time. However, I've never regretted using it as it's been very reliable easy to service.

Now were talkin! Care to share your numbers? HP, comp ratio, empty weight, VX/VY? is your comp ratio still low enough to run MOGAS or perhaps a MPGAS/100ll blend? Im thinking about staying right at 8:1. I THINK 91 octane with a splash of 100ll should keep me on the safe side.

I too have spent endless hours thinking about engines. My 7SS is due next week, so I figure that I have about 8-12 months to decide on an engine. I want to build it is an LSA, so right now I am shooting for the 1320 target. I have changed my mind more times than I have changed my socks (which I do every day). I flew the Stick and Rudder plane with the 914, and it performed well. I am thinking about “coward’s” bush plane flying, so I want a little more HP than a 912. I am considering the Edge Performance engine as well. I though that I would chime in just to remind everyone that the FAA LSA weight limits may change soon, so other options (like the Titan) May be more realistic. I have a cub with a C90 which is a kissing cousin of the O-200, which I agree is a time-proven engine.

Fred