Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

Default getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

Well I always wanted one, now I'm getting a model 4 912ul 1050.
    I had a pilot with experience check her out this week for me, and he say's it's a good one.
    I'm going to finish my tail wheel endorsement in it, Iv'e been flying a J5 cub. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.
    I know there is another Kitfox on the field here Pearson Field Vancouver WA. but I haven't met the pilot.
    Any Advise for a rookie?

Default Re: getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

What a great Christmas present to yourself. Congrats. Get to know the other Kitfox owner on your field. Always nice to have someone else to fly with. Makes it 4 times as much fun.

Advice, pick a nice day for your first flight. Don't land your Kitfox with a tail wind until you have a fair amount of hours. Expect a very nice handling aircraft with quick response to control inputs. Be ready for your first take off to happen before you expect. Be ready for the angle of attack during take off to be higher than you are used to. Watch your speed on final. Too much speed and you will work a little to get it on the ground. If in doubt, go around. All Kitfox slip exceptionally well. Make sure you put gas in the tanks because you'll be having so much fun you may forget. Never quit flying the aircraft no matter what happens.
    On a Model 4 912 Rotax equipped Kitfox, always pull the prop through several times, in the direction of engine rotation only, before the first start up each day(make sure ignition is off). Especially if it has sat for a few days or more. Gets the oil out of the cylinders before hitting the starter and bending something expensive inside the engine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

you won't have to much trouble. I started flying, taking lessons in my kitfox. Had to do the check ride in the cessna, but that was ok. I now have over 1500 hrs in the kitfox and another 200 in the RV. I say go for it and have fun. If you can get a head wind down the runway of about 5 will be perfect. Than you can have a nice slow approach, calm is ok to. Just don't do the first with cross winds, save that for another flight.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for the advise. The present is from my Wife, not myself. I'm lucky to have a wife who supports her husband's flight addiction.

I have an instructor Theresa Nelson who is a aerobatic instructor CFII to help me get transitioned. I hope the last 15 hours of J5 Cub time ( in nasty weather) helps me transition, it was the only tail wheel available to me.

I knew there was only 1 direction to pull the prop through, didn't know which way thank you. I love slips, I never quit flying until an aircraft is shut down.
    Now for some non-nonalcoholic fuel #@!! EPA!@$#

--
    we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!

- Richard Bach

Smile Re: getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

Hi Zorro

I think you are into a suprice when you start flying your Kitfox. It is simply a wonderful and very forgiving airplane.
    As I was reading the good advice you are getting re. handling the KF under training etc... I would as a old flight instructor also strongly recommend that you practise taxing your plane, get used to sit in her and the visibility from the cockpit you learn to cope with.
    Further, you can on a rwy increase the speed, lift the tail and then slow down again as after landing. That way you can do a lot of the training yourself.. Have fun!

kind regards
    Hallgrimur TF-124

Congrats !! Get ready for lots of fun !!

You have received some very good advice and I want to emphasize on one of them...
    We as pilots are programmed to land.. we are setup on approach, to high.. then too fast and or it just plain doesn't feel right... yet we make the best of it and grab the tiger by the tail and land tha aircraft... WE DO NOT HAVE TO LAND !! The best landings are usually proceded by a good approach.. so go around come back and setup a nice stable approach. (off the soap box)

Glad you like slips... The Kitfox does it better then most...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Awesome advise, John.

My (very wise ) instructor told me that a go-around is not a failed landing. It is just another phase of the landing process that needs to be practiced, too.

Also, his advise was not to taxi the plane unless you are ready to fly it. Especially "high speed" taxiing (Ill-advised). These planes fly at such a slow speed that taxiing becomes flying very, very quickly and unexpectedly.

I don't want to be a kiljoy, these little planes are an absolute blast. Just keep your head and expect the unexpected, especially when you are green. (With only about 50 hours of total Kitfox time, I still consider myself very green.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

turning the prop backwards was mentioned . along with never doing that , another good habit is pulling the prop thru by hand after shut down until the gurgle and checking the oil level . then do the same thing again before you start the engine if the plane has been sitting for any length of time . the oil will drain from the tank into the case and you certainly dont want to start the engine with a case full of oil . another thing in the cold weather the 912 is a totally different animal to get started . its amazing how just a little heat will help make an easy start . we made up a engine pre heater from a milkhouse heater and some dryer vent hose, put a blanket over the cowl and stuff it in around the prop . about an hour on low , works great , even when we were down in the 20s last week .
    cp
    yelm, wa
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul, warpdrive

What is wrong with using the starter to do the prop turn over. On a 912s the compression is so that doing so will wear you out in no time. I for one do this with absolutely no ill affect. I do however have mag switches and a seperate switch for the starter. so turning the engine over mags off is a non event and I also have proven to myself that the oil res is in fact full after doing such.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Nothing until you have an oil-hydrolocked cylinder. Then...

In their seminars, LEAF and Lockwood both recommended pulling the motor through by hand as slowly as possible because the slow release of the compression aids in clearing the oil back to the tank faster.

It would still be very advisable to pull it slowly through by hand at least several revolutions before engaging the starter.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos