Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

Default Re: getting a Kitfox 4 this weekend

I forgot to mention, that I always turn the prop over when cold a few times to make sure it isn't hyperlocked. I just can't see killing your back for the rest of the turns, I generally turn it over for a count of 6 with the mags off and make sure I have good oil pressure.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

thanks for the warm welcome! N645GR will be here tomorrow if the weather is VFR

The gas station that sold ethanol free gas said WA. GOV. made them stop and everything is has corn in it. ( I guess the pilot can't have drink but it's ok for the airplane) I'm thinking I'll try the marina I heard boats get straight gasoline? Funny I never heard of a boat falling out of the sky!

I have had experience with hydraulic lock when I drowned a dirt bike in a river, almost broke my shin kicking it over.

As for going around, my instructor calls the throttle "The Eraser Button" if a landing doesn't look good, Erase it. I'm not to proud to go around better than smashing a beautiful plain up.

I can't wait to see how fast she gets off the ground, I know the J5 cub jumps up quick, I'm thinking it'll look like a C-172 next to the Kitfox.

I guess it'll be another sleepless night until she is here

Hey cap01, what would be the purpose of turning the prop over by hand after shut down? I've never heard this one. Shouldn't the reservoir be as full as it's going to get right after shut down? Thanks, James Thomas

zorro. good luck finding alki free gas . we lost our station that handled it a couple of weeks ago in the olympia area . i ran the first alki gas in 40kf last week , really hated to do that . ups delivered a new 13 gal wing tank today so as soon as i can get it installed at least one side i wont have to worry about . the tanks i have in her now i sloshed with an epoxy sealer that is alki resistant but who know how good that is .
    cp

jr . your probably correct , if you checked the oil right after shut down . i usually am doing other things and get around to checking oil after shes gassed and put away . guess i should change my habits . then before i fly the next time i pull it thru enough to make sure the oils out of the case , not concerned about oil level as long as no puddles under the airplane since i knew it was good when i checked it last
    cp

I see no advantage at all. I always check my oil level after shut down and I don't do this and the level is right where it needs to be.

Congratulations on the 4 your gonna love it. I bought my 4 april of 08 and trained in it. The one thing that takes a little getting use to is training yourself not to look down the cowl on landing if you do you'll land crabbed. Instead pick a point down the runway and keep it straight. These planes are a real hoot to fly. I started out getting my sport in mine and this past October I took my private pilot test in it. With just under 150 hrs in it this plane has a ton to teach me. Take it slow keep it safe and enjoy.

Nick W
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I love my new Kitfox!! Holly Cow that thing is fun!

So The people at the flight school her at Pearson Field have said the won't train me in it. The manager/chief pilot has forbid any employees to fly in my Kitfox. He also gave me quite a bit of a hard time for buying it.

I need to find some one who is a CFI and has kit fox time to get me up to speed. The insurance company said I need to have ten hours.
    The guy who delivered it, Grant Smith had plenty if Kitfox fox time but he lives kinda far.
    dang it I'm stuck to the ground

Zorro,
    I am sorry to hear that the local flight school is giving you a hard time on your Kitfox. If it's not a tin can they don't know how to deal with it. Keep looking and you will find your instructor. If you lived in my area,I would gladly do it .I am a CFI with over 15000 hours of flight time (military flight instructor,airline flight instructor,etc) and own a nice Kitfox 4 (thanks to John McBean)
    The Kitfox is a nice aircraft. I am sure someone on this foruum or the Matronics forrum will know someone close to you that can give you the required time. There are more Kitfoxes out west then any other area ,I believe. .
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Florida

Well are you going to introduce us to your new love?? how bought a photo??

Chase