Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Avionics purchase question

Default Avionics purchase question

I just ordered my SS7 Kit. I can buy the avionics now, but wanted more input onto whether I should wait till closer to needing it, in case of any advancement in technology that might change things drastically, for the cheaper. I estimate it may be a bout a 4 year build sine I will be working alone,

Default Re: Avionics purchase question

Wait! The pace that instruments and panel gadgets are upgraded, something bought today will be outdated by the time your build is done. Jm2c

Definitely wait! Put the engine and especially avionics purchases off as long as possible.

Clark

Thanks, thats what I thought but it is very tempting to buy something for my kit now lol, I wont even have the kit till march/April 2021

Definitely wait. It may not be cheaper later, but you will get more up-to-date gear for your money.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think Jim is correct. If you buy a G3X today you may find the cost goes up but the equipment will offer more. I bought everything at once, engine and avionics, about two years before I finished the plane (3 year build). Fortunately, my avionics didn't change in options or price with one exception. My com radio came out with blue tooth connectivity which would have been cool. I have blue tooth headphones so I was fine. But, to my knowledge, the two of us in the plane aren't able to listen to one music source. I tried to wire in an aux port into the radio but found that the pins were already in use so I just have to listen to my own music source while my passenger has to set up their blue tooth to the co-pilot headset. My Engine actually got cheaper by about $700 for a short spell but went right back up to the same price and then higher. That was a product of the exchange rate. I have had people post items they are using in their panel that, had I waited, I would have put in mine as well. The engine monitor is one example. I hate that I have to have the mechanic hook up my engine to be interrogated. I hate more the fact that I was dealing with caution lights in the first place let alone having to either buy the $1000 dongle or have the mechanic look into why the light was coming on. So.... It is probably better that you wait so in the end you will have everything you desire at the time of completion.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not only can avionics change, the warranty also starts ticking at purchase.

It worked great for me to wait. When I got my plane there was only the 7" Garmin G3 vertical screen (like the Aspen series for certified). I felt that screen was too small and that it would take two of them to display the infomation like a PFD/MFD. When I was ready to purchase mine in 2015 the 10" G3X touch screen had just been announced and I got to see it at Oshkosh. The 10" screen has enough room to split it into a PDF/MFD.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Think about your source or better yet your Brand. Speaking to the warranty, Garmin replaced both of my servos no questions asked after they sat on my shelf for 1.5 years before ever being powered up. They have awesome customer support as well.. I needed some help configuring and they were great. This isn’t to imply any other company, like Dynon or MGL has any less reputation.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I am leaning towards Garmin