Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine

Default Re: Tangerine

Hope to meet and visit with you at Oshkosh Keith.😀

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

What avionics did you use, hard to see from the picture, maybe MGL? can't tell the rest of the units. just trying to get ideas, was leaning towards Garmin but they are not cheap.

love it Steve, nice plane. another name for it, creamsicle.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Keith, Tangerine sports an MGL Explorer Lite 8.5” glass iEFIS, MGL 2.25” comm radio, Appereo ADS-B out transponder just below a Garmin Aera 500 GPS with weather and traffic via a GDL-39 mounted on the glare shield. McFarlane vernier throttle, double USB charger for iPAD Air2 with Stratus S2 for redundant weather and traffic and synthetic vision.
    4866A52C-E0C2-47FC-8D31-191C25DA78FF.jpg

I went with MGL because a 10” screen would not quite fit in my custom panel surround. No one else had a intermediate sized glass panel. The 7” panels looked a little small but in retrospect a 7” would be perfectly useable for me. MGL’s customer service is top notch by the way.

Don’t look past Dynon’s offerings either. I’ve flown hundreds of hours behind their products with no issues.

Very hard to beat Garmin’s quality Keith. I’ve flown the factory Speedster just a very short time with their complete suite of avionics installed and another brand new Kitfox with the same set up and really like it. Having flown Garmin's portable GPS offerings for a couple decades now, I find their newest avionics completely familiar and very easy to navigate.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

love it Steve, nice plane. another name for it, creamsicle.
    Thanks Steve.😀👍 Appreciate the kind comments from you and everyone. It does remind me of a creamsicle treat which I really like. We do have nose artwork designed. Still not yet sure if I will put it on. I think I’ll fly it first and see if it fits her.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I noticed your panel figured it was custom, wondering where I can pick up a carbon fiber panel. Kitfox doesn't show them in their accessory store. Also thinking about the carbon cowl. I am trying to weigh the different costs of the avionics. We are on fixed incomer, I.E. retired, so need to watch some of the expense. I was thinking steam gauges , but they can be just as expensive. Thinking of starting to pick some up now so I can spread the cost out.
    Last edited by Hawkertech; 12-27-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Nothing wrong with steam gauges.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Keith, my panel is not real carbon. It is carbon looking plastic masterfully molded by DesertFox1. Only two exist. One in his Kitfox and one in Tangerine. A flat sheet of real carbon shouldn’t be too hard to locate and make your own panel though.

Carbon cowls do save weight. Kitfox Aircraft was not selling carbon when mine were built. These were a ton of work but very rewarding to learn a little about carbon parts and I had great teachers.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It's just beautiful Steve! Are those seat belts what Kitfox is selling now, or something else?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey John. Thank you Sir.👍

Seat belts were provided back in 2014 with my kit. John McB. saw a photo of them early on in my build and asked where I got them. I said from you. He went and looked in inventory and sure enough some of these had mistakenly been mixed in with their normally sold belts. He said he’d be happy to replace them but I kind of like the military/aerobatic type buckles. They do not fit in with my quest for lightness though. The buckles are heavier than stock issued belts but heck, I like them anyways. One small concession to want and not function.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear