Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Recent Builders question

Default Recent Builders question

For those that have built recently, Did you have the kit shipped or did you pick it up, If shipped About how much was the shipping, If picked up how was it packaged? I am just trying to plane ahead on my order that isn't till March 2021.

Default Re: Recent Builders question

Keith

Maybe not that recently; but thought I might share my reasons for choices.

I chose to have the big box shipped to a DC in the city near where we live, then hauled the big box from the DC to our house on a flatbed trailer (actually a car trailer). Main reason for picking it up at the DC is I had no equipment for unloading the big box from a delivery truck to the driveway. The car transport trailer I used between the DC and the house puts the load low enough so it isn't a problem unloading; and the DC has equipment to load the box on the trailer.

Photo attached of what the big box looks like - if a person picks it up it won't be packed in the big box unless you make that choice - depends on your equipment - people have used rental box trucks and I am sure, even enclosed horse trailers - the challenge is in securing the stuff for the trip.

Since it's been a few years, I don't think what I paid is comparable today - inflation has occurred since - and the cost in 2021 will be different than today.

In any case, if a person hauls it all the way from the factory, that is going to cost something too; and, then there is the risk you assume and the need for insurance coverage if a person does not choose to self insure. The average driving competence we encounter on the highway indicates most people are not exactly MENSA inductees when it comes to safe driving. For someone who already has the necessary transport equipment available hauling from the factory may be a viable option, but you want to check if your insurance coverage extends to expensive airplane parts in the trailer.

I think in the end there are several choices including an aviation specific delivery service; and, it's going to be a balance among the issues of cost, risk, time and equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I live in Indiana. I had mine shipped. It was $2,200. No brainer for me - it would have cost me flight, 2 days travel in February when mine was ready (potential weather), van rental, gas, personal liability.

Mine came delivered in a semi. Fuse bolted to the floor, wings hung on sidewalls of truck, lift struts hung on wall of semi, most of the rest in crates. Windshield came separately.

Thanks both, I am in North Texas, just outside of Fort Worth, SO diving and rental van may be a wash with the shipping price.

Shipping mine to AK. About 5k total. A friend had one shipped last year and said they build those boxes to withstand near nuclear explosions. Very well packaged. Mine ships in a month or so. Will follow up.