Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Balance Master

Default Re: Balance Master

Joe on the NR prop I got better results with balance master. Others have got better results with a dynamic balance. Dynamic balancing is mostly science and partially an art form. If you have never dynamic balanced a prop and will be doing it by yourself, I say just run the balance master. Maybe John will sell you his?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

With the early dynamic balance equipment that was available 30 years ago, i.e. from Chadwick-Helmuth, there was some “art” involved in my experience. With modern technology, not so much. I don’t have any Dyna-Vibe experience, but with my 20 year old ACES machine it’s all science. I’ve given my Balance Master to a friend to try on his Mod. IV. If he doesn’t like it I’d be happy to sell it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Having done both on my plane, I now have a Balance Master ring on it.

I can not quantify anything scientifically the way John did, but my "seat-o-the-pants" meter sure liked the results of the ring better.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I appreciate the responses from everyone.

With a new Rotax 912iS it makes no sense to me to install a Balance Master on the flywheel. It would void the warranty and it seems that the engine should be balanced to begin with. However, I would expect some imbalance within the prop hub and blades. That’s a lot of mass spinning a 70”+ circumstance. So I’m leaning towards the Balance Master for its simplicity.

I’m probably about three or four weeks from my first start so I’ve got some time to make a decision.

John, if your friend does not want your Balance Master let me know, I may want it.

Joe
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

I don't have any problem with the idea of a balance ring that automatically distributes its balance weights AS IT IS SPINNING. What bothers me a whole lot is the initial start-up when the weight has all fallen to the bottom overnight and it must be redistributed on start-up. Even if it only takes a couple of seconds (some reports on this thread indicate it may take 30 seconds) that is too much time to have what may be a very out-of-balance condition on EVERY start-up. If your engine rubber, especially the carb sockets, is getting older and approaching replacement time, a couple of hard shakes on each start-up could easily cause a crack. We also know that hard shaking or pulses is bad for the gearbox/clutches. I personally feel much better with a good dynamic balance; its not that hard to do or that expensive to have it done. Just my opinion.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think these rotax engines experience more force on the rubber mounts when they are shutdown than starting up. Still can’t get used to the prop just stopping.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I think these rotax engines experience more force on the rubber mounts when they are shutdown than starting up. Still can’t get used to the prop just stopping.
    Dustin,

I think it was DesertFox4 who turned me on to the technique I use to shut-down - from 2500 RPM, simultaneously pull throttle smoothly to full idle while turning off ignition (in my case, 2 toggle switches). The result for me is a rather smooth shut-down... not at all bad. Not like an engine without a PSRU, but still pretty good.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I don't have any problem with the idea of a balance ring that automatically distributes its balance weights AS IT IS SPINNING. What bothers me a whole lot is the initial start-up when the weight has all fallen to the bottom overnight and it must be redistributed on start-up. Even if it only takes a couple of seconds (some reports on this thread indicate it may take 30 seconds) that is too much time to have what may be a very out-of-balance condition on EVERY start-up. If your engine rubber, especially the carb sockets, is getting older and approaching replacement time, a couple of hard shakes on each start-up could easily cause a crack. We also know that hard shaking or pulses is bad for the gearbox/clutches. I personally feel much better with a good dynamic balance; its not that hard to do or that expensive to have it done. Just my opinion.
    I don't know where the 30 seconds indication came from but I can observe my engine is running smooth before the CDI modules kick the timing to the "run" position. That may be 3 seconds.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The 30 second reference was from John Evans post #18:
    "I allowed time for things to "settle down" before each reading, and observed that with the BM it took a minimum of 30 sec. to 1 min. (sometimes considerably longer) to reach the best balance condition. There was no delay without the BM."

Very likely John was saying it took that long to reach a very fine balance condition. I doubt he meant that there was major shaking for that long. I will bow out of this discussion at this point because I have no actual experience with the Balance Master. I was just expressing my opinion after reading what others have posted and my own thinking on the subject.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks John. I have been doing 2000rpm. I will try 2500rpm to see if it’s any better. It’s like a main bearing is dragging and on its way out. Kind of comical how a rotax stops. Still getting used to it.

As far as the BM being out of balance on startup... I bet the mercury is spun out on the crank before the engine is idling smooth.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!