Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Led resistors

Default Led resistors

So I understand that LEDs require resistors if the voltage source is not equal to the voltage drop of the LED. Does anyone have information regarding the LEDs that are provided by kitfox? See the image below.

It appears that these already have a resistor in them. I would assume that I should be able to skip adding additional resistors.

As a bonus question, the second image is for a 912 is install, why would I require two resistors for an LED?

wiring912islamp.PNG
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Default Re: Led resistors

I am not able to speak to the lamps that came with the kit because I replaced them. I bought two LED lights with a black bezel around the lights. The new ones certainly have the resistor within the housing. I did not add resistors to my installation and they work as prescribed without a glow.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I would suspect the second resistor is to provide additional load to the driving circuit. Not sure why you would need it, maybe the drive circuit needs to see a larger load to function properly. The 1K resistor in series with the led will limit the current draw to ~ 13mA at 14 volts. From my experience with leds, that is a good current for this.

I suspect the second resistor is there to prevent any leakage current from lighting the LED when the circuit is off. Hard to know without knowing what’s driving it.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks. I may remove that resistor circuit (they do call it optional). Since the LEDs do have a resistor built in, I'm hoping that will be fine.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO