Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Thinking of Buying a Kitfox

Default Thinking of Buying a Kitfox

Hi there,
    I've been looking around for a little bit, and I think I've decided that I want a Kitfox as my first airplane! Up until now, I've almost entirely flown club or rental 172's, and have a little bit of time in a Sport Cub, but hope to use the Kitfox for my tailwheel endorsement and all the fun that comes after.

I've been able to find scattered information around, but was hoping you guys might be able to help out a newbie with a couple of questions:

I know in the certified world, prebuy inspections are important, and people recommend to find an A&P that has experience with the particular airframe. How does this process work for Kitfoxes/experimental aircraft? How would I go about finding someone to do a prebuy on a Kitfox if the airplane is distant?

There's a waiting list for hangers at the airport I fly out of, so I'll probably have to tie the airplane down outside for a period of time. Oregon can be pretty wet in the winter and spring-- I was curious if there are any considerations for a Kitfox and outdoor storage. Are cabin covers recommended?

I've seen some posts about trailering Kitfoxes, but from what I can tell they were all relatively short-range trips. For a longer trip, I was thinking of snagging something like a 26' U-Haul and loading it up in there for the trip back. I don't think I'd be able to do it with just the wings folded, but was hoping for some tips, tricks, and gotchas for people that have done something similar before.

Are there any insurance companies recommended by the community?

Any and all other information or recommendations relevant to owning a Kitfox or experimental aircraft in general very welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Thinking of Buying a Kitfox

I just found this thread regarding transport via U-Haul, but there was no conclusion...

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...haul-box-truck

However, a comment in this one makes me think it's possible!

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ll=1#post24838

Moving a plane by Uhaul is great. You do need to remove the wings and strap them to the wall but it's easy and safe to do. It's way less stressful than trailering.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Appreciate it! Anything in particular to watch out for when strapping the wings to the wall? I imagine you'd want foam or towels or something between the straps, wing, and wall at minimum.

Just found some answers to my insurance questions here:
    https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ight=Insurance

Starting to figure out my search terms, finding a lot of answers to the questions I was asking, so apologies for not seeing these at first pass!